Monday, October 15, 2012



Elder Doggett in front of Ghana temple

GHANA SERVE NOW......

Elder Doggett's mission to Ghana Cape Coast.....started on September 28th, 2012.








First up, arrival at the airport in Accra and adventures in the MTC or Missionary Training Center.  Here is his first email on the day he arrived in Ghana (Sep. 28, 2012): " Thanks mother! It was a long flight. I fell asleep several times so it felt like weeks. But I met up with Elder Cavaness in Salt Lake and we stayed together all the way here. I guess you could say we made ourselves companions. We were also travelling with an American lady who helped us out on the airport when we got here, she was very helpful. The airport was pretty chaotic, but we made it through without being arrested! We met up with the chaperones and some elders from Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Uganda, and New Zealand. So there are only four white guys, haha all the Africans wanna talk to the white guys. Already, I can tell they are so hospitable and happy.
       Now, the heat. haha it wasn't bad at first, like I could feel it, but it wasn't too severe. But then elder Cavaness and I decided it starts to soak in. Once you're completely wet, it just sits on you like an overstuffed water buffalo. But it still isn't as bad as I'd imagined, it's a suface heat. It's not like working on the roof where your entire body gets overheated inside and out. I'll get used to it.
     I was assigned to be companions with an African, Elder Macaulay. Like Home Alone. But I promise, he doesn't look like MaCauley Culkin. Everyone is so nice! I already showed them the picture of my hair and they ate that up. So the driving here is insane! Tyson, it's like the night going to the cave, except we were blasting Motab, not Queen. You would love it. haha I sure am the minority here but it doesn't bother me at all.
      The MTC president grew up in rigby, so he can relate to me. I think his wife is British. Oh, we had our first meal already and it tasted very American. Rice, coleslaw, chicken, and pineapple. The pineapple was 10 times better though. And its a whitish color. The coleslaw stuff was actually good, too. Weird. Some rooms in the MTC have AC, so I can slowly get used to the climate. But I'll settle in. Anyhow, I'd really love a shower right now, even if its cold. So imma peace out.
      But please forward this to everyone. Laters!

P.S. I saw a guy pantless, cleaning his shorts in the canal. haha it was awesome. 
Love, the minority,
Elder Doggett"
The welcoming committee at the airport
With Elder Macauley, first companion









Elder Doggett & Elder Cavaness after long flights
Fence around MTC


With Elder Shinasi from London
Second email posted on September 30th, 2012.... "It's actually an electric fence around the MTC, so that's a bit of an upgrade.
     So yesterday was challenging. I got very discouraged with everyone's accents over here. I can only pick up about 50% of what they say. They leave out words, like "as", "the", and they drop off the beginning and endings of a lot of words. So they really only say like 40% of each word. The Nigerians here have the thickest accent, and my companion is Nigerian (of course). He is extremely diffucult to understand. But that makes the rest of the guys easier to understand. I think the Lord is teaching me patience. There is a guy, Elder Sakala, who is from Zimbabwe, and he is very easy to understand, he dictates very clearly. But last night, before the last lesson, I prayed that I would feel the spirit in spite of not understanding the words. And as I did so, what they said became easier to understand. But I did have to pay rapt attention. I think the most frustrating part is the fact that I know they are speaking English, but I just can't understand it.
     We've already started mock lessons with the teachers posing as the investigators. It's going well. That's all the mission field will be: teaching lessons pertaining to investigator's needs. It will take time to get used to. I don't really know what i expected though.
     So there are French and English speakers here, and we usually just split up for every meeting. But when we had sacrament this morning in the cafeteria, the French meeting was being displayed over the speaker system the whole time and nobody could figure out how to stop it. haha it was interesting.
     But I had a very intense experience today during a family history meeting. As all the other Elders began filling out a pedigree, I just got mine out and studied it. As I looked at the names, an overwhelming feeling came over me of all my family on the other side of the veil that is pulling for me, who want me to succeed. Especially Grandma Chapin. I had to put it away before I burst into tears in the middle of the meeting, haha. I was also humbled as my companion, Elder Macaulay asked me if I knew my grandparents. I said yea, I knew my grandma before her death and my grandpa is still alive. He said, " You should be greatful and rejoice for that." He never knew his grandparents and hardly his father. Through all the miscommunication, I am still learning a lot from him. Every topic we speak about, he bears his testimony in some small way about it. Even though I mostly just smile and nod because I have no idea what he is saying, I still feel his strong spirit all the same. haha.
     I really just want to get into the field, because things are so hectic right now at the MTC. haha the Africans stay up too late and rise very early. The first night they woke me up at five. haha I tried to explain that the American needs his sleep, I dunno how they run on four hours or sleep. But they are all so nice, haha they have all been asking me about my retainer, they have never seen one. haha they have never heard of braces either. They sure are goofballs though. haha. One funny thing is: they never stop singing. People back home thought I was strange for randomly bursting into song but I fit right in here. And when they sing, it's with reckless abandon. They are not afraid of what they sound like, they just belt their hearts out. Once I can understand them well, i'll be very happy to start teaching!
      Mom and Dad, thanks so much for your testimonies, I read them last night. It's a huge strength to know how you feel. I miss home but I've barely given Africa a chance, so i'll deal with it.

Love,
Elder Doggett





Email from Oct. 4, 2012:  "Man oh man. This place is great. I'm really getting a handle on the Nigerian accent, because three of my roomates are from Nigeria. I figure once I get it down, the Ghanian accent will be no trouble at all. Haha my other roomates are Elders Shinasi and Sakala. They are both 21. Shinasi is a Londoner and we get along really well. He does a pretty good American accent but he says my Manchester is 'nonexistent'. Haha I thought I had it in me. Elder Sakala is from Zimbabwe. They use American currency there and seriously have almost the same culture. They use the same slang and stuff. The country is very modernized. We started joking that he doesn't count as an African, he's practically American haha. The other elder from Zim looks, sounds, and acts just like Dave Chappelle. If you don't know who he is, he's a comedian. (Don't look him up) haha. There are also two Elders from New Zealand and their great too. People are still getting me and Elder Cavaness mixed up (the other American) haha so we're gonna switch nametags sometime. My companion Elder Macaulay was baptized around six years ago, the same as Elder Shinasi. Elder Macaulay is such a happy guy, haha I wish you could hear is laugh, it's a riot. The people here are so friendly!
     The food is surprisingly American-ish too. We have spaghetti and lots of chicken and stuff. Some African though. Like plantains and oranges. Except the oranges are green. So they're greens, I guess. Hahaha. They totally have hot dogs here, it cracked me up when we had them. We had french fries last night too and that was a relief! haha 
     We went on the first temple trip today, it was awesome. We had to drive through the heart of Accra to get there, and may I remind you that the driving here is INSANE! It seems like everybody is racing to get everywhere, people are honking their horns, motorcycles are diving between cars, and people are in the streets "hawking" all kinds of things. I saw a guy sellings enormous clocks and another selling pictures of the president. haha this place is exploding with culture, its so interesting. Although, everyone stares at Elder Shinasi and I, being like the only white guys around. Some look like they want to murder us. Or martyr us, I should say haha. It's a blast, though.
     So. The temple. It's so tiny! But gorgeous, nonetheless. The temple grounds are such a stark contrast from the rest of the bustling city. The city is dark, and very dirty. There are half built buildings spotted everywhere. But stepping onto the temple grounds is like stepping into another world. It's so nice. Over half of the Elders today had never been through the temple, so they did for the first time today. It was awesome.  Being surrounded by Africans helped me realize the true importance of the work i'm doing. Every person on this Earth derserves the chance to hear the message of this restored gospel. And every single one is entitled to it.
     On the drive back to the MTC, every person I saw i just wanted to talk to, to get to know them, and give them the opportunity to feel the love and happiness that I have found. Actually, I don't really miss home. (no offense)  But i'm keeping in the front of my mind what I'm here to actually do. I can't think of anything else I would rather do at this point in my life, or any place I would rather be. This is the opportunity of a lifetime, for myself and those around me. I hope I can be the teacher the Lord needs me to be. I'll concentrate to do my best. Remember, "The worth of every soul is great in the sight of God".

With love,
 Elder Doggett"

Ghana temple

                                                            


Oct 7, 2012: " I tried fufu yesterday! It was surprisingly difficult to eat. Haha you CANNOT chew the fufu, so you have to swallow it in big gobs. The problem is: it has the consistency of chewing gum, so the initial reaction is to chew it. You have to concentrate and force it back. Haha ever tried swallowing your gum? It sucks. We got to watch the second session of Saturday conference last night. It was so great, just to have a little bit of home. We couldn't watch Priesthood because it started at 1:00AM here. Haha. We're watching all of Sunday sessions today, starting in ten minutes, so I need to roll out."

October 11th, 2012:   "Dear Family and Friends.
Things have gotten better with the guys in my district and in general. But I'm still so ready to get outta dodge here. I've seen my teaching already improve since I got here so I know i'll be ready for the field. It's just kinda difficult to figure out your purpose and eveything you're preparing for when you're staring at a whiteboard all day haha.
     Mom, i got your snailmail yesterday. It was postmarked October 1st. So it appears letters take 10 days to get here from the states. I sent a letter to Elise on the 7th, so we'll see how long it takes to get to Oh Canada. I'm betting on two weeks. Man, I was hardly missing home until you told me about your visit from Elise, Dallin, Olivia, and Kloie haha. I think this is the only the second time she's been in town and I haven't been. Oh well. I'm still not missing home like I thought I would be. But Tyson, I fully expect you to get your papers in this week, and I'll see you in the Ghana Cape Coast mission in about six months. :)
    So I want to try and describe the clouds here. Haha it's strange, because they all hang very low from the humidity, but they seem to tower up into the sky and threaten to crash down on you. It's brilliant, I love it. I also notice that every building here is built out of cement, either block or poured. And most places don't have windows, they have gates or something. I think it's because wood and drywall would just mold and crumble. And windows are expensive here. But I have seen some super extravagant homes here. There's no carpet either, it's all tile.
     Oh and we ship out to the field on Wednesday."





No comments:

Post a Comment