Monday, January 14, 2013


 ".....this area is a giant stack of dry wood. All we need is a match. The match is the chapel. With that, this place will light up like an Idaho summer brushfire."

Dear Family and Friends,
     On Wednesday, we had transfers, Elder James came from the Western Region in a village called Nkroful. He is a really cool guy. He's from Evanston, Wyoming, and he is only a transfer ahead of me. In Nkroful, he was speaking mostly another local language called Enzima, so I now know more Fante than my companion. Which is not a lot, ha,ha.
     When we first met, I told him I hope he is a hard worker, because I'm sick of wasting so much time. He is a very hard worker. We decided to follow every rule as closely as possible and push ourselves. This week we had two investigators come to church, which is a record for this area. In the first 13 weeks I was here, we had only 1 come to church, but she came every week and was soon baptized. I am absolutely convinced that obedience is our key here. And as for teaching, he is a powerful teacher. He had a brilliant trainer from the UK that taught him a lot. So he's helping small with some of the things I missed out on. We kicked this week in the pants. Unfortunately, it kicked back. I got really dehydrated and I'm still recovering from that. Apparently dehydration has all the same symptoms of malaria and can be just as bad. I honestly feel like a dry sponge. Or a sack of flour. So I'm pounding water like a camel. This time of year is actually the hottest. Most of the year is chilling in the rainy season. It can get to a steady temp of 15 Celsius (59 Farenheit). Pumped.
     In these next 8 weeks, we are expecting to have the chapel in Ntranoa finished. But there is a lot of stuff going on in the area offices: the new temple in South Africa, incoming missionaries, an apostle is coming to tour the mission, and some authorities are moving around in position. So someone has to suffer for that, right? I have a sinking feeling that the building will be finished in the end of February and one week later I'll leave on transfers. That's the nature of mission. But ideally, an Elder Jones from Idaho Falls is coming in March; I ran into him in the temple 3 days before I came out on mission. I'm hoping to get called to train him, so I can stay in this area. But that's a bit of a stretch. The mission will need a LOT of trainers very soon though. Elder James and I decided that this area is a giant stack of dry wood. All we need is a match. The match is the chapel. With that, this place will light up like an Idaho summer brushfire.
     The other day, during a sunset, since the harmattan is real thick, we could look straight at the sun. Before is disappeared beneath the haze, if you looked close, you could see a tiny dark spot in the upper right quarter. It was the planet Mercury. You'll never see that in the States.
     Kirsten, I got your Christmas package this week, and I loved it. Thanks for all the cool junk! I can't even explain how good that banana roll was!
      Tyson, I'm glad you are working on your papers. Having friends in the field, wherever they are, is a huge strength. I don't even know how to describe it.  I'm pretty sure after you get to see Cully and Carson, they will kick you out the door to a mission, ha ha. They wouldn't let you stay if you wanted to. If I don't get a letter from you before you leave, so help me.... I will send a note home to your parents! Seriously though, I may be inclined to physically or otherwise maim you in a friendly way. :)
     The work is about to explode like the Death Star here very soon. I'm very excited.

Love,
Elder Clinton Doggett

P.S. My hair got kinda long, and when I swept it back apparently I looked like Marty McFly. So far, its Marty from Back to the Future, Shawn Spencer from Psych, and Rod Kimball from Hot Rod. You'll get a picture sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment