Monday, March 17, 2014

ANOTHER GREAT WEEK IN GHANA


Welcome to 1947!!
Dear Family and friends,
            Happy St. Patty's Day! And it's Elder Ma'afu's birthday. I think we're just gonna relax, we haven't done a lot of that. We met the funniest guy on the street the other day. He just stopped us and started introducing himself, "Hello, I'm *James Mensah. SERGEANT James Mensah. Sekondi Prisons. Haha it was hilarious, I immediately thought, "Jack Sparrow, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. From the Black Pearl." He seemed to be very proud that he was a sergeant.
            I just heard that my son [the missionary he trained], Elder Cowan is training this transfer. I'm gonna be a grandfather! Haha, how exciting. So for transfers my comp and I are both staying. The Eshiem elders are getting whitewashed and Elder Moore is coming to our apartment to die training. I'm excited; he's so fun to be around. I can't believe he only has 2 transfers left though. We just can't stop the clock.
            Our investigator I. told us this week after a lesson, "So I've been going around to all the members that I know, just getting to know them and visiting small small." I said, "So, you're home teaching already?" He said, "What?" Hahaha, I just can't describe to you how awesome this guy is. I honestly think he will be a huge strength to the ward. He's already telling us of people he has in mind to share the gospel with, and he's already started. I'm very happy that I'm staying in the area, so I can see him get baptized and become a full member.
            The highlight of our week was when Elder Vinson, the 2nd counselor in the West Africa Area Presidency, toured our mission. He met with Takoradi, Sekondi, and Kojokrom Zones. He's the first native Australian to be called as a general authority, and he's sporting a sweet accent. As he addressed us, he gave tons of great advice. Notably, he gave us ideas on how to help investigators keep commitments and grow closer to Christ. We need to follow up on every commitment we extend; that's how we fulfill our purpose as missionaries. We invite people to act, not to be acted upon. This was really good for us to hear because me and my comp were recently discussing how we could be better at following up.
            Elder Vinson also relayed an experience he had to accompany Elder Holland as he assigned missionaries to where in the world they would serve. He said that Elder Holland occasionally went back and changed certain individuals' assignments after having moved on, because he felt the initial one was wrong. The call comes from the Lord, but the assignment may be changed. Even more so, Elder Holland assigned a few select missionaries directly to a specific mission president. He's the head of the missionary department, so he knows all the presidents. I found that incredibly intriguing, because I have often thought that President Shulz is one of the many reasons I was sent to Ghana. He is the most merciful man I have ever met. He believes in second chances. My mother wrote her testimony for me to open when I entered the field, saying, "...you have a mission president that Heavenly Father hand-picked for you, for this time of your life as a missionary. He is a wise man with many years of experience serving in the church and gives counsel and rules for a reason." Mom, you may have had the spirit of revelation when you wrote that, haha.
            President Shulz is truly inspired. I've always felt that I was exactly where the Lord wanted me to be, in every area I have served. President has absolutely turned this mission around. Things used to be a lot different here. The entire spirit of the Ghana Cape Coast Mission has changed dramatically.

*Names have been changed

Ward Mission Leader and Elder Doggett on way to a funeral
One intense rainstorm!

No comments:

Post a Comment