Monday, September 1, 2014



BAPTISM GOALS AND THE FAITH OF ELDER NAKEDI

Dear Family and Friends,
                I feel like such a large burden has been lifted from my shoulders this week. My companion feels the same.  President Stevenson came up to Foso to do a baptism interview for A-- she passed! He said she had a fine understanding. It's been difficult to tell how ready she is with...... her distant attitude.  He also came to settle the dispute over ward boundaries between _______, whose sons we are teaching.  He helped the two men successfully reconcile; and he said they all agreed that M and D must be baptized. They all agreed to play nice and worship where they are supposed to. That was a really sticky situation.
                I greatly appreciate President Stevenson's help and energy.  As we thanked him he was so humble.  He said he just 'had a good day'.  It's funny, as we sat outside during A's interview, a few kids were speculating and commenting that President was my father-- just because we're both white! Haha they didn't believe me when I denied it; little rascals...
                We went on exchanges with Elder Holmgren to help him to interviews this week because EVERYONE was baptizing this weekend.  It was the last weekend of the trimester, and Nyame nadoma, (by the grace of God) we met our zone goal!  55!  We nailed it right on the head.  I'm so proud of the missionaries here in Assin Foso; they're working so hard.  But I must recognize and praise the Lord's hand in all of our work.  Without His blessing and watchful care, we wouldn't be able to accomplish a thing; this work is not done by our power.  Especially is Paramu these last two weeks, I feel that the Lord has truly had his "angels round about us".  Surely "angels are declaring it unto many at this time in our land" (Alma 13:24).
                M and D were baptized on Saturday in Ward One's service.  Their father performed the ordinance, they were pretty happy.  They were also confirmed yesterday.
                A and N were baptised today after church.  Our ward missionary B wanted to experience being John the Baptist, so he volunteered himself to perform the ordinance.  We happily allowed him the privilege.  He was so nervous though; he had to repeat each baptism a few times.  It was a great learning experience for him, even though the congregation chuckled as he messed up the words.  He was just beaming the rest of the day, he even went proselyting with us after church.  I'm sure his testimony was boosted; the best way to learn is by doing.
                A and N were so so happy too.  They were all smiles yesterday. The chance to witness an individual's conversion is so amazing, there is such a light in their eyes.  N comes from a part-member family; her mother and almost all of her siblings are members.  She was away at boarding school-- that's why she missed the bus when her family was baptized back in 2013.  She’s been coming to church regularly and loving the teachings.  She absolutely adores Sis. G,  the powerful member who has been fellowshipping her.  They're both around 16 years old.   I love N, she's such an innocent and sweet girl. She'll continue school here in Foso, so she's here to stay.
                I can hardly believe it, but Elder Nakedi and I hit our trimester goal! Back in May we set a baptism goal of 7. We had B and P in May, E in June, a dry spell in July, and [the four previously mentioned] in August.  We only set an August goal of 2 at the beginning of this month because I didn't think we'd make it.  But my companion has more faith than me.  He fasted and prayed, and said that in his mind the goal was really 4. Right after we set that goal we ran into M and D and their tricky situation -- which Pres. Stevenson came to resolve, and to interview A.  And here we are.  I boldly claim that it's a miracle! Our Heavenly Father is watching over us all, and I feel so much gratitude for His love.

Love,
Elder Doggett

Mom, Since you mentioned family history work, we were helping our ward yesterday during the last class to fill out their pedigree charts. I sat with some 45+ year old ladies, and in my broken Twi helped them figure out their parents’ birth dates and such... haha it was fun. Some of it is just guesswork, there's not a lot of records here.  It’s incredibly ironic how you mentioned that West Africa is doing the best in family history work right now [in all of the Church].  It's surprising how many dates people have in their heads though--those ladies I was helping knew more than I expected.

Do I feel a sense of panic [about his mission ending soon]?  Not complete panic, I just feel very anxious. We're still super busy like always, so it's just one thing after another.  I feel anxious that I don't have any time to think.  We get home so late I hardly get time to write in my journal and reflect; I feel like everything is flashing before me like leafing through the pages of a book.  We even already have the next two weeks lined up for us, but we're getting a lot done. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment