Monday, November 12, 2012


Email from November 12, 2012:

"The gospel is true. It is the gospel
 of peace, happiness, family and love.
 I can't deny these things. God lives, 
and he directs his servants in how they
 may better the lives of others."

 Dear Mi Familia and Amigos,
     This week was pretty good. The work is slowly moving forward in this new branch. Yesterday was our fast and testimony meeting and it was so powerful. The members in this area are extremely powerful and convicted. Most of them are converts to the church, so they're testimonies have a certain... vociferous energy about them. It's different but I love it. The meeting was so full of the spirit. Since the branch is so small, everyone had a chance to bear their testimony, and some even did twice. Branch President Thompson gave a powerful testimony about small miracles. Last Tuesday, in Takoradi area, a Melcom's building collapsed. Melcom's is like a small grocery outlet. But this building was a huge 6 story building that collapsed in seconds. It was in the morning before any customers were there, but 12 people were killed and 70 survived. Some of the workers there were having a morning devotional before the workday, people from any faith.  And every person who was taking part in that devotional survived, and I believe they were on the bottom floor. So President bore his testimony about showing thanks, that we worship the one true living God. And God does perform miracles for those who observe all things before him. It reminded me of something Lauren wrote in a letter before I left, she said, "Look for miracles, you will see them." How true that is.
     We secured a meetinghouse for Ntranoa! (well, WE didn't, but the leaders did.) It's a little building in the village, that needs to be re-done, and it should be ready by December, at Christmas the latest. A new branch mission leader was called recently and he has already been a huge help. He is a super determined guy, who wants to serve the Lord. HE even called US to see what he could do. That's rare. Speaking with him last night, he was asking how old you could be to serve a mission, because he is interested in serving. But he is 27, so be missed the mark by a few years. But he is still doing all he can to help, which is awesome, he wants to learn. His name is Solomon Mensah.
     So we went to the Elmina Castle last Monday, it was so cool. It was built in like 1482 by the Portuguese and taken by force later by the Dutch in like 1630s. It is amazing that something so old is still standing strong. The Architectural design was amazing, but simple in a way. I took some cool pictures I'll send. Eventually. One of the rooms was full of bats. We were taking pictures, and I made that kissy sound and they all flipped way out. Haha it freaked us out and I accidentally bumped Elder Nwachukwu's camera out of his hands and it broke. So mom, I'll need some money in my account to help him out with that. But anyhow, the castle was a trade for gold and goods, then later for slaves. And that part was very disturbing. As we went down into the dungeons you could still smell the stench of hundreds of people suffering, and being traded, stuffed into rooms like sardines. The place smelled like blood, and you could almost hear the cries of people coming from the dark stains on the walls and floor. It felt so dark, it made me a little sick to my stomach. It was difficult to see, even though it happened so long ago. The natural man is so dark. It's hard to imagine that people can do such things to one another. This is why we need God.
     Funerals here are strange. When someone dies, the people here throw a literal party, with music, dancing, and food. They put up posters everywhere advertising it. At first I thought it was a little disrespectful, but then I thought about it some more. It's an older tradition, and death was very common in the olden days. If they didn't make something happy about it, things would get so depressing. I think it's just the African way of coping with death.
     The other day one of the members gave Elder Nwoko and I some killer waakye. Man, that stuff is so good. Here, they put everything possible in it. Fish, beans, noodles, peppers, sauce, coleslaw, and cooked cow skin (which is actually really good), but the lady gave us SO much of it. And the name of the game here is You Have To Finish Your Food. Haha We sat there, suffering with how full our stomachs were, but my companion kept saying, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." It was hilarious. Now Nate, you'll be proud of me here, I taught him the Samoan Stomach Roll that you taught me. It seriously works! We just did that and finished it all. We were dead the rest of the day though.
     We've also taken to rebuking the taxi drivers who try to make us pay more for fares because I'm white. Haha its so so funny. We'll say something like, "Woe unto you driver, for you see the color of my skin, and you immediately raise the price. The price of the Kingdom of Heaven shall be raised for you." Haha then they just laugh and drive away. Anyhow, it works. :)
         Our investigators are progressing, but very slowly. People are actually very busy here, even without all the distractions we have in America.  I was surprised. How do we have time to get anything done back home?  We don't get to see our investigators that often. They don't answer their  phones either. Nobody here does.
     But we taught one of the most powerful, heartfelt lessons the other day. One of the ladies we are teaching met missionaries some time before, and likes the teaching. As we taught her about families, we felt impressed to teach her about temple work and the spirit world. Her father and sister died a few years back within months of each other, so we told her about how she can see them again. I felt impressed to say, "Justina, your father and sister are waiting for you to accept this gospel, so that you can do the work for them, and give them the chance to accept it as well." As we taught, she was very subtly crying. And I gotta tell you, it takes a LOT to make an African cry. People are tougher here and  less emotional because of how they grow up in the culture and stuff. We are babies in the States. So far, they only thing I've seen make any African cry, is the power of the spirit. It is by this power that people come to accept the gospel and know of it's truthfulness for themselves. Without it, out work would do absolutely nothing. As a missionary, you have to realize that as a person comes to learn, it is between them and the Lord. You are only the simple mediator, or the tool the Lord uses. And it's a missionary's duty to strive to have that spirit with him, (or her) so that it may illuminate his path and lead him to those who are ready to hear the true restored gospel.
     The gospel is true. It is the gospel of peace, happiness, family and love. I can't deny these things. God lives, and he directs his servants in how they may better the lives of others.

With Love,
Elder Clinton C. Doggett

No comments:

Post a Comment