We have not had an email since November 12 and a letter posted the same day. Hopefully Elder Doggett will find a working computer by this Monday, or his mom might have to fly over there to check up on him! :-) Here are a few excerpts from the letter:
"......Physically Africa will tear you down. The sun is unrelenting this time of year. The hottest part of the day is 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. In this area on the coast, there is usually a breeze to keep the heat down, though. Fast Sundays are difficult.....you fall to your knees at the end of the day (in prayer and exhaustion:-)
....I never [before] worried about what I'll eat for 3 meals a day. [Here], no Walmart. It's all local markets full of people who speak little English.....and the diet is so, so different. That has been the hardest adjustment [on my body]. I'm finally starting to get used to it, though. Mom, you said the hard thing about my mission would be the physical aspects. Amen to that. But no matter, "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
Even through all this, the work is glorious. When your only purpose and goal is to bring souls unto Christ, everything else drifts away and feels so unimportant. Mom, in one of your letters you sent me Mosiah 24:15, '...the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.' That [scripture] has helped me so much......I've seen it work in our missionary efforts. When I am diligently and sincerely working, all my problems seem insignificant. The Lord sustains his missionaries so the work will move forward. 'Fear thou not; for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.' (Isaiah 41:10).
I'm grateful for my companion, Elder Nwoko; he's a really easy-going guy. AND a really fine cook. We whip something up every night. He had 6 American companions before me. We decided he was with Americans [a lot] so he could handle training me! My mission president...[is] here for a reason, for me. He is a true man called of God. He's hilarious, too. I love him!
Overall, things are going very well, When I first got here, I prayed that I could forget myself and go to work. The next morning I found out we were to help build this new branch. It's nothing but work. I love it, though. The members are very powerful. One of the elders in our branch was ordained by David O. McKay. The only thing he remembers is that his eyes were very blue.....
I miss you tons, and I love you so much. Kia Kaha! Forever Strong!
Love, Elder Clinton Doggett
P.S. Send me pictures! Tell people to write and send pictures as well!"
No comments:
Post a Comment