December 17th email from Elmina:
"If I didn't write letters, I could buy SO many plantain chips. They're like potato chips, but not so much salt, and they are soooo good! Deep fried plantain. Digg it."
Dear Family and Friends,
So I want to share a fun experience from right after email last week. Elder Nwachukwu and I were walking back from Elmina from the good internet cafe and this girl approached us on the street. She was a straight Rasta and was asking Elder N. about some kind of pendant she wanted him to give her. Then she looks at me, smiles, and tries to plant one on me. I was like a magnet: she leaned in and I leaned waaaay back. Hahaha. She said, "Obruni, kiss me, baby." We were like, oh brother we gotta get out of here. So we start walking about and then she hugs me from behind, saying, "Come back, just one kiss!" Haha I just said, "See your life, see your life!" and we got outta town. "See your life" is just something you say here, it's like saying, "Come on, look at yourself", in a comical way, I guess. Right after that Elder N. told me she was somewhat crazy. Like literally crazy. So that was an experience.
This week has been fine, as Elder Nwoko and I have been trying harder to be assertive, but also loving. Its' not always easy, but it's always possible. We were able to take Linda and another investigator to one of Elder Nwachukwu and Macaulay's baptisms, so that was a good experience. We had to spend the rest of our money helping them go and return so we haven't had money for half the week. We just had a 'restoration' today though so it's okay.
Also, I've been focusing on learning more Fante, because I'm sick of not understanding people. Especially when they are talking about me. I can tell when they are, because I'll hear 'obruni' and 'husband' or something like that. One of the members decided she was only going to speak Fante around me so I can learn faster. She also invited us all over to her home for Christmas fufu, so that will be fun. I am actually starting to like the fufu, after about the 5th time it tastes good. With Fante, you have to remember you speak it more from the throat than from the tip of the lips. Most Americans here speak it with their lips and they sound suuuuper American. So I'm still working on the accent. It's not like Spanish or any of the other accents I know.
Mom, I received the camera card last week and I'll send the full one back today. I hope it doesn't get lost, but from what I hear you don't usually lose letters you send from here, just some that are coming in. It should be fine. There are about 147 pictures on this card. I'll try to take more pictures because I could be taking more. But if I send this, you need to send me some too! (That goes for everyone). The other Elders in my apartment usually get mail. Well Elder Nwoko does, I haven't seen Elder Nwachukwu get any. He said he used to, but he is about 15 months out, so he doesn't get a lot anymore. I hope that doesn't happen to me! :) If anyone writes me, I''ll do my best to write back, granted I have a lot of time at night. It can get kind of expensive though, so I have to pace my letter writing. If I didn't write letters, I could buy SO many plantain chips. They're like potato chips, but not so much salt, and they are soooo good! Deep fried plantain. Digg it.
Dad, I was surprised to hear Zach actually quoted me from that letter in his talk. I don't even remember what I wrote. I wrote it two months ago, he emailed and told me it took seven weeks. Haha. Probably because I sent it through pouch. Pouch mail will sit in the mission home for weeks. I'm glad he's getting out in the field with us. Like Matt and Ben said, it helps just to know your friends are out here with you. Keep sending me letters! And cookies! Mom, I love you, those cookies are amazing.
Love,
Elder Clinton Doggett
So I want to share a fun experience from right after email last week. Elder Nwachukwu and I were walking back from Elmina from the good internet cafe and this girl approached us on the street. She was a straight Rasta and was asking Elder N. about some kind of pendant she wanted him to give her. Then she looks at me, smiles, and tries to plant one on me. I was like a magnet: she leaned in and I leaned waaaay back. Hahaha. She said, "Obruni, kiss me, baby." We were like, oh brother we gotta get out of here. So we start walking about and then she hugs me from behind, saying, "Come back, just one kiss!" Haha I just said, "See your life, see your life!" and we got outta town. "See your life" is just something you say here, it's like saying, "Come on, look at yourself", in a comical way, I guess. Right after that Elder N. told me she was somewhat crazy. Like literally crazy. So that was an experience.
This week has been fine, as Elder Nwoko and I have been trying harder to be assertive, but also loving. Its' not always easy, but it's always possible. We were able to take Linda and another investigator to one of Elder Nwachukwu and Macaulay's baptisms, so that was a good experience. We had to spend the rest of our money helping them go and return so we haven't had money for half the week. We just had a 'restoration' today though so it's okay.
Also, I've been focusing on learning more Fante, because I'm sick of not understanding people. Especially when they are talking about me. I can tell when they are, because I'll hear 'obruni' and 'husband' or something like that. One of the members decided she was only going to speak Fante around me so I can learn faster. She also invited us all over to her home for Christmas fufu, so that will be fun. I am actually starting to like the fufu, after about the 5th time it tastes good. With Fante, you have to remember you speak it more from the throat than from the tip of the lips. Most Americans here speak it with their lips and they sound suuuuper American. So I'm still working on the accent. It's not like Spanish or any of the other accents I know.
Mom, I received the camera card last week and I'll send the full one back today. I hope it doesn't get lost, but from what I hear you don't usually lose letters you send from here, just some that are coming in. It should be fine. There are about 147 pictures on this card. I'll try to take more pictures because I could be taking more. But if I send this, you need to send me some too! (That goes for everyone). The other Elders in my apartment usually get mail. Well Elder Nwoko does, I haven't seen Elder Nwachukwu get any. He said he used to, but he is about 15 months out, so he doesn't get a lot anymore. I hope that doesn't happen to me! :) If anyone writes me, I''ll do my best to write back, granted I have a lot of time at night. It can get kind of expensive though, so I have to pace my letter writing. If I didn't write letters, I could buy SO many plantain chips. They're like potato chips, but not so much salt, and they are soooo good! Deep fried plantain. Digg it.
Dad, I was surprised to hear Zach actually quoted me from that letter in his talk. I don't even remember what I wrote. I wrote it two months ago, he emailed and told me it took seven weeks. Haha. Probably because I sent it through pouch. Pouch mail will sit in the mission home for weeks. I'm glad he's getting out in the field with us. Like Matt and Ben said, it helps just to know your friends are out here with you. Keep sending me letters! And cookies! Mom, I love you, those cookies are amazing.
Love,
Elder Clinton Doggett
No comments:
Post a Comment