![]() |
| Elder Doggett at Cape Coast Christmas Devotional |
"If you're walking by, and someone is eating, they'll say, 'you're invited'.......I asked Elder Nwoko if they really meant it, he said, 'heck yeah they mean it.' If you go over there they will stuff you with food. These people are so giving, they are willing to share their food, even out of their own bowl, with some white stranger passing by."
During sacrament meeting some weeks ago, we were about
to sing, "O Little Town of Bethlehem", and as the chorister started, I realized she was singing the words to the melody of "I Saw A Mighty
Angel Fly", hymn 15. I sat there silently busting up in laughter at how
well it actually fit together as we sang. I figure a lot of members here don't
know the real melodies for a lot of the hymns. Ha ha,it was just one of those,
'Only in Africa' moments.
On Christmas day we had SO much fufu. We went to a few members' houses and they spoiled us. I thought I wouldn't eat for a week. I'm actually starting to like the stuff, I'm eating it so much. My favorite is groundnut soup (peanut) with chicken. Of course the phone call home too was great. Although I ran out of credit really fast. I dunno how the fees work here, really so i'll figure that out. Nate, I'm sorry we didn't get to talk much but I'm glad you had me call Kelsey. It was really good that we talked, we found that we are going through a lot of the same challenges. All the more reason for YOU TO WRITE ME :)
I had a cool realization the other day. There's something that people say all the time around here. If you're walking by, and someone is eating, they'll say, "you're invited". I always thought it was just a common, courteous thing to say to people. But I asked Elder Nwoko if they really meant it, he said, "heck yeah they mean it." If you go over there they will stuff you with food. So we were passing a few guys roasting chicken gizzard barbecue style and they invited us, so Elder Doggett happily accepted.( It smelled like American BBQ!) We had a good conversation about the church and such. They gave us a lot of meat and were so friendly I was really impressed. These people are so giving, they are willing to share their food, even out of their own bowl, with some white stranger passing by. Granted, meat isn't cheap around here. I was thinking, "This sort of thing would never happen back in the States, it's too bad. The people here are so generous." I mean, I was super duper impressed by this, and I still am. Seeing how little people have, and how fast they'll give part of it to you, is simply amazing. They're not blinded by the vain things of the world, like prejudice and pomp, or social status. Those things don't exist here. I can't really describe it.
So this is my last week of training, by next Monday I'll know whether or not I'm staying in Elmina for the next two month long transfer. I'm excited to be finished with training, I don't really like being a new missionary. Some of the other Elders are a little condescending to new missionaries. I feel like a freshman again, ha ha. I'm not sure if they know they're being condescending though. Oh well, it teaches me lots and lots of parience. :)
Love to all! And Happy New Year!
Elder Clinton Doggett
On Christmas day we had SO much fufu. We went to a few members' houses and they spoiled us. I thought I wouldn't eat for a week. I'm actually starting to like the stuff, I'm eating it so much. My favorite is groundnut soup (peanut) with chicken. Of course the phone call home too was great. Although I ran out of credit really fast. I dunno how the fees work here, really so i'll figure that out. Nate, I'm sorry we didn't get to talk much but I'm glad you had me call Kelsey. It was really good that we talked, we found that we are going through a lot of the same challenges. All the more reason for YOU TO WRITE ME :)
I had a cool realization the other day. There's something that people say all the time around here. If you're walking by, and someone is eating, they'll say, "you're invited". I always thought it was just a common, courteous thing to say to people. But I asked Elder Nwoko if they really meant it, he said, "heck yeah they mean it." If you go over there they will stuff you with food. So we were passing a few guys roasting chicken gizzard barbecue style and they invited us, so Elder Doggett happily accepted.( It smelled like American BBQ!) We had a good conversation about the church and such. They gave us a lot of meat and were so friendly I was really impressed. These people are so giving, they are willing to share their food, even out of their own bowl, with some white stranger passing by. Granted, meat isn't cheap around here. I was thinking, "This sort of thing would never happen back in the States, it's too bad. The people here are so generous." I mean, I was super duper impressed by this, and I still am. Seeing how little people have, and how fast they'll give part of it to you, is simply amazing. They're not blinded by the vain things of the world, like prejudice and pomp, or social status. Those things don't exist here. I can't really describe it.
So this is my last week of training, by next Monday I'll know whether or not I'm staying in Elmina for the next two month long transfer. I'm excited to be finished with training, I don't really like being a new missionary. Some of the other Elders are a little condescending to new missionaries. I feel like a freshman again, ha ha. I'm not sure if they know they're being condescending though. Oh well, it teaches me lots and lots of parience. :)
Love to all! And Happy New Year!
Elder Clinton Doggett



No comments:
Post a Comment