Monday, September 16, 2013

 "It was funny and inspiring at the same time that this man could not even conceive of a culture, or circumstance, let alone a person, who would not believe our message. To him it is just so clear and obvious." 



We have a breach!!!!!

Dear Family and Friends,
            So I'm a terrible person because last week I had quite a few emails and I simply forgot to write back my general letter. So I'll repent, ok? Anyhow, things here are normal... for this country.
            Happy Birthday Elder Doggett! 20 years old this week. On my birthday, the Bybees came by to introduce the new senior couple from New Mexico, Elder and Sister Ivie. They are extremely nice people, and they're definitely in culture shock, haha. I started to write down some Fante for Sister Ivie, and she was a little overwhelmed, but willing to learn. When they all found out it was my birthday, they busted out the singing and peanuts. It was awesome, haha.
            So after they left we continued our weekly planning and toward the end, we heard a THUD outside followed by the sound of falling bricks.  We went to the window and saw a huge dump truck on the other side of our now collapsed outer wall, as the culprit. The driver had no idea what he was doing; I dunno who allowed him to be behind the wheel of that big rig. He also hit a tree beyond the wall, and almost took off the roof of a shop container as he backed toward his target, the welding shop. The landlord didn't even care when we told him; he just shrugged it off. So the owner of the shop came out and told us he'd take care of it. By the time we returned home from proselyting, the broken corner was already bricked back up. I was pretty impressed, in light of the speed in which they build here...
            So we had a full, busy day of work and we retired home to our most glorious egg ‘sammiches’. I could really eat those every night for the rest of my life and die happy. The ones we've been making are practically gourmet. I also added some instant potatoes from my b-day package just for a taste of home. Then we all played Settlers of Catan and I lost miserably, haha. Oh yeah, by the way Mom, everybody loves to play Monopoly Deal. Elder Ike (EEKAY) begs me to get the cards out every night, haha. He's a really hilarious Nigerian.
            As far as investigators go... we have a lot of people we are teaching, but not many are progressing. One girl is asking a lot of questions and trying to understand. She seems to be the most promising right now. Otherwise, people are all kinda in the same spot. They can't come to church.
            In the area we're working right now, we're really in an awkward situation. It's very difficult for people to attend church, almost impossible actually. So we are pushing the PEC to form a group. I called President Shulz and asked his advice on about how to proceed doing that. So we've collaborated and the branch president gave us the names and numbers of every member in our area. We will contact them and tell them that we want to start a group, and ask them if they will come back to church if they have a group nearby. So that's our game plan---re-activate, start a group, support said group every week, and continue proselyting. The people here will receive us, just like they would anywhere in Ghana, but the center of strength is just too far away.
            Speaking of church, we met a German guy named F. at church this week. He was living with a member for about 1 year over a year ago and he visited the church. He never met with missionaries, and he said he's seen the church in Germany, but never visited it there. He said the closing prayer in Elders Quorum and he said it in German….. the guy can speak English like an American, German like a German, and Twi like an African. He knows more than I do, for sure. He's a very friendly guy, which surprised me because all the Europeans I've met so far are less than cordial. Proves me wrong, I guess. But we're going to try and sit down with him this week before he goes home at the end of the week.
            Every week on Sunday we take the sacrament to Brother N., a man in the branch. In 1989, he had an accident in a rail yard where he lost his right arm and leg. He has a powerful testimony of the restored gospel! Every time we see him, he says, "Tell everyone about the Restoration; the First Vision, Book of Mormon, John the Baptist! It's true!" Haha he just spits it all out and stumbles over his words he gets so excited. He talks pretty dang fast for a Ghanaian.
            Last Sunday he asked us if we had a few minutes to talk and asked us how well people receive the gospel in the U.S. I tried to explain how people aren't so religious; they think they have everything they need already. People have a lot of distractions and normally won't even give the missionaries time to sit down. He got angry, saying, "What?! Don't people believe in God? What do they think happens after death? Do they think, 'that's it, I'm dead, it's over'?" Haha I explained that many people have questions, but don't know where to find answers. He replied, "Huh? Don't they read the church books? It's everywhere, just ask someone! When they hear it, do they believe it?" I said that many do not. He then threw his hands (or hand and stump) in the air, crying, "Why not??? It's the truth! Ok. Thank you, see you next time, buh bye." He gave us a grin as he left.
            It was funny and inspiring at the same time that this man could not even conceive of a culture, or circumstance, let alone a person, who would not believe our message. To him it is just so clear and obvious. It's almost as if "he had faith no longer, for he knew, nothing doubting", like the Brother of Jared. (Ether 3:19) I mean, all this man does is sit in bed, read the church books, and I'm sure receive revelation, haha. All that's in his room is shelves and books. I bet he seriously knows solid doctrine. It makes me want to build up my own testimony more.

Love,
Elder Doggett

Wait.......Nevermind!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment