Friday, September 27, 2013


Frustrations of an Empty Toolbox


Elder Doggett, Elder Cowan lunching at the Ivies!

Dear Family and Friends,

The Following is an excerpt from my journal. I didn't want to sugarcoat it, so this is how I am feeling: 
"So this week was beyond frustrating. I'm incredibly stressed out. I'm supposed to be training Elder Cowan; showing him how to play with the ropes, and we have no ropes. Our toolbox is empty. This area has problems, all of which are out of our control. Yesterday was an attempt at a missionary Sunday which failed miserably due to lack of preparation, commitment, and responsibility. We should have planned the day weeks ago at PEC meeting, but the only one who comes to said meeting is the missionaries and the branch president. Two weeks ago PEC was cancelled due to a stupid futbol match everyone wanted to watch…….Our area is too far from the church for people to attend……There are no active members in our proselyting area to help us, therefore we can't form a group (we were also informed last district meeting that President doesn't want us elders to push for a group; it has to go through the branch).  As we were watching the training videos, we realized we don't have any tools at our disposal…… I'm at the point where I simply don't know what to do; which leaves me feeling helpless. Until now on my mission I've had a goal, or something to work for at least an idea of what to do. I've run dry in the idea department. The most frustrating thing is that I know what needs to be done, but I can't force people to do their jobs.”

On a different note, our friend Perpetual sent us over to Elder and Sister Ivie's place with a gift of pineapple. They invited us in and gave us a tour; Sister Ivie was so excited to see us. Their flat is seriously the nicest I've ever seen in this country, it's a mansion, and it's only the top floor of the building. They only have to pay $300 a month for it.  After the grand tour, Sister Ivie said, "Hey are you guys hungry? I just made some soup!" We said we would not decline, haha. So she prepared us a meal with everything she had: soup, grilled cheese (yes!), pineapple, juice, peanuts, tigernuts, and chocolate. While she prepared it, we washed the dishes that were in the sink. It was an awesome visit, we got to know them better and share some insights about Ghana. Apparently a month after they got their call, Elder Ivie fell off a ladder and broke both wrists, his pelvis, and a vertebrae. He was expected to take at least 6 months to recover, but because of fasting and prayers he did so in only 3 months. Needless to say, the doctors couldn't believe it. I won't lie, it was nice to sit down and have a taste of home. I really needed it, too. Sister Ivie is such a sweet lady. She has the perfect 'grandma’ feel about her.

So, since everyone is probably wondering, we do have ONE person who is even close to progressing. Her name is S., she is a referral from a less active member, and she is about 20 years old. She is actually trying to understand our message, mostly about the Book of Mormon. She says when she reads it, she loves it, and that it feels like the Bible. But she's just a little stuck on the 'can't add or take away from the Bible'. We explained it, but a lot of people just need some time to get past it here. She was reading 3 Nephi 11 which we gave her and she got to the point where Jesus teaches the people how to baptize (we knew she would eventually). Last time we sat down with her, she asked every right question about baptism. How should it be done? Should children be baptized? Can someone be baptized again? Every question she asked led right into the next one, which led to a baptismal date. We extended one to her, and she accepted, but the next part is to get her to church. So I guess she needs some extra prayers.

Love,
Elder Doggett


Must have been a crazy 20th!!
P.S.  Mom, I've listened to every Joseph Smith CD but one…… I really enjoyed them!!  It helps to see that he's not just a name on a page, or a man in a story. He was a real human being with a real personality, who was called to lead God's kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment