Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,
    "Whooooooa, we're halfway theeere, WHOOOOAAA! Livin' on a prayer!" I hit my one year mark this week, although my official halfway mark is in one week due to the two week extension. It does not feel like I arrived in this country one year ago. It blows my mind how fast it's gone by. Elder Govathson, my MTC mate was betting me that I was going to be the new District Leader, as he was being transferred and he was the DL. We got transfer news on our one year mark. I bet him two packs of salmon that it wasn't me, and his baseball jacket said otherwise. I lost. I got a call from the APs like an hour later, announcing the official beginning of my regime as Swedru District Leader, haha. It will probably just help us fill time, though, since the area is not really moving.
    Today, Elder Rowe, one of the guys in our apartment went home! I was proud him, he stayed strong all the way to the end. A lot of missionaries have premature deaths, but Elder Rowe lived a long and fulfilling mission life.
    We had a branch council meeting on Sunday and we all decided it would be much better if we just helped the other missionaries in the branch with the work they have, which is closer to the chapel. They honestly have more than they can handle. I called President Shulz and we discussed what to do this last week and he said we should talk to Bro. Acheampong, the first counselor in the branch presidency. He's the one who President knows personally. The area is just very awkward. We can't start a group because there are no active members. I see one of three things happening. Best - Over time the area gets a group and starts to expand. Worst - The area continues to have the same problems and causes premature deaths of all Ghana Cape Coast Missionaries who go there. Or also Worst - The area gets closed.
    So we are meeting with Bro. Acheampong this week to discuss how to move forward, then we'll call President and counsel with him on if we should change area boundaries or what. Fortunately I believe things will be getting better, because if we can start proselyting closer to the church and getting to know members, then the work ALWAYS progresses. Simple as that.
    S. didn't make it to church. So no update there. We are kind of in a limbo stage right now, I'm not sure how we will proceed yet in the area. I think we will be teaching closer to the chapel from now on, but we will continue to visit the people in Aboso we have already contacted.
    I was going to send pictures this week, but I forgot my card reader, so I'm out of luck. Sorry.
Love,
Elder Doggett

P.S.  Hahah I'm glad you found Elder Cowan's mom. She also emailed him about that. Please tell me you don't text each other every day... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment