Scary Drivers, Scary Old Women!
| Elder Doggett in front of termite mound |
Dear Family and Friends,
We got party boy-ed by two 70+ year old women this week. We
went to check on a less active, she wasn't there, and some old devils nearby
started chattering Fante at us. We had no clue what they were saying. We found
out shortly. Out of nowhere, they each put their arms around each of us and
started grinding! SO. NOT. OKAY. Needless to say, we made like Joseph in Egypt
and got outta Dodge. They chased us out. It took a few seconds for what just
happened to register, then we couldn't stop laughing, Haha!. On the way home
that night Elder Cowan got sideswiped by a truck on the road, it just grazed
his arm though, so it messed up his shirt and got it all muddy. At least it
didn't mess up his face.
Also, while we were chatting with a member who owns a fruit stand, I saw this guy walk by wearing an 'Irving Phys Ed' shirt. I laughed at how he had no idea where that came from. He was one of the guys in the tro tro who calls out where the thing is headed, just next door. Five minutes later, we hear a crash and I look over to see the roof of a shop collapse down on a taxi on the adjacent street. The car hopped the gutter and nosedived. Said 'Irving Phys Ed' guy got out of the driver seat and everybody and their goats came to yell at him in Twi. It was amusing. Our friend interpreted the yelling and told us, this guy doesn't know how to drive and someone told him to go park the car. They said he had done this before. Oh, nobody was hurt, by the way. To get it out, 15 guys crowded around the vehicle and just pushed, haha.
I have given my first few baptismal interviews as a District Leader. They're not hard, and I won't lie, I really like the prospect of having responsibilities to fill time. But things should start moving here again. Also as DL I get to conduct and instruct in district meetings, receive numbers from everyone at the end of the week, and report those numbers to the ZLs.
We met with Bro. Acheampong and drummed up some ideas for us to help the branch itself, not necessarily the Aboso area. We want to focus on re-activation for the whole branch, because there are ridiculous amounts of less-actives. It's fairly easy to re-activate in Africa because most people just left because they fell out of fellowship. When you show them some love and that the church hasn't forgotten them, many will return. We will also be going out with the Elders Quorum brethren to do gratuitous amounts of tracting in the part of our area that is closer to the chapel. We want to start in the center and branch out. I'm also going to talk to Pres. Shulz about changing the area boundaries a little; we've already been proselyting in a part of the city that technically is not our area, but he gave us permission to do so. So want to propose that he permanently changes it, so any future missionaries don't have to go through the same thing we did. That portion is the lifeblood of our work right now, it has some good members. I hope everything gets ironed out soon.
Also, while we were chatting with a member who owns a fruit stand, I saw this guy walk by wearing an 'Irving Phys Ed' shirt. I laughed at how he had no idea where that came from. He was one of the guys in the tro tro who calls out where the thing is headed, just next door. Five minutes later, we hear a crash and I look over to see the roof of a shop collapse down on a taxi on the adjacent street. The car hopped the gutter and nosedived. Said 'Irving Phys Ed' guy got out of the driver seat and everybody and their goats came to yell at him in Twi. It was amusing. Our friend interpreted the yelling and told us, this guy doesn't know how to drive and someone told him to go park the car. They said he had done this before. Oh, nobody was hurt, by the way. To get it out, 15 guys crowded around the vehicle and just pushed, haha.
I have given my first few baptismal interviews as a District Leader. They're not hard, and I won't lie, I really like the prospect of having responsibilities to fill time. But things should start moving here again. Also as DL I get to conduct and instruct in district meetings, receive numbers from everyone at the end of the week, and report those numbers to the ZLs.
We met with Bro. Acheampong and drummed up some ideas for us to help the branch itself, not necessarily the Aboso area. We want to focus on re-activation for the whole branch, because there are ridiculous amounts of less-actives. It's fairly easy to re-activate in Africa because most people just left because they fell out of fellowship. When you show them some love and that the church hasn't forgotten them, many will return. We will also be going out with the Elders Quorum brethren to do gratuitous amounts of tracting in the part of our area that is closer to the chapel. We want to start in the center and branch out. I'm also going to talk to Pres. Shulz about changing the area boundaries a little; we've already been proselyting in a part of the city that technically is not our area, but he gave us permission to do so. So want to propose that he permanently changes it, so any future missionaries don't have to go through the same thing we did. That portion is the lifeblood of our work right now, it has some good members. I hope everything gets ironed out soon.
Love,
Elder Doggett
Elder Doggett
| Spectacular sunset! |
No comments:
Post a Comment