Monday, October 14, 2013


A Normal Week in Ghana......phew!
Dear Family and Friends,
    Mom, I got Elder Jackman's letters. It was awesome to hear from him. He had some pretty good stories, ha,ha! I really miss that guy. Also, I think you might enjoy reading Elder and Sister Ivie's blog if you haven't found it already. intoghana.blogspot.com
    So this week I went on my first splits as the District Leader. I went to Odoben to be with Elder Lee, as he had a candidate that needed a baptismal interview. The trotro drive to Odoben is awesome. We had a good time. Those guys have a seriously good area. We were running the entire day.  I haven't had a lot of those days on my mission thus far. But they are really fun. I really wish Elder Cowan could have gone instead, because he needs to see what a sweet area is like. But unfortunately because of the interview that wasn't possible. We're splitting to Odoben again this week for interviews for the other missionaries' candidates. Once again, Elder Cowan will have to stay. But I'll send Elder Kirumira back to our area, as he was there before us. Hopefully he can show us some places we haven't been.
     I gave my first instruction as well this past week. I felt like focusing on Ch. 6 in PMG, about the importance of the Book of Mormon. Recently I've come to see just how awesome and pivotal a tool it is. I've always known it was important, but now I'm trying to give preference to BOM scriptures whenever possible as soon as we have taught about it. The meeting went very well, everyone started contributing tons of cross-reference scriptures from BOM to the Bible and we all copied them down and learned from each other. I guess what they say is true--- you learn more when you're the teacher.
    Elder Ike and I discussed last night how we could change the boundaries of our areas. President called him and told him to talk with me about it since I suggested it to him. We found a perfect place to split it, and I guess it's effective immediately (since we've already been proselyting there for a while now). We should have more to do now that we at least have some MEMBERS to work with. That is absolutely essential here; I'm sure as it is anywhere. The members are the driving force of missionary work, even if they don't know it. People are watching them….. their friends and family. People are much more inclined to listen to and believe the gospel, when they feel the testimony of their peers. That has been the hardest thing about this area so far, is not having relationships with the members. That's half the joy of the work anyway; I love making friends with the members. They're all so powerful here and are not afraid to share what they believe.
    As far as the re-activation goes, it's a little slow. It's hard to find people here. Haha everything is a maze. But last week we had two less-actives come that we've been working on since we got here, so that was very gratifying! The branch president is giving us 5 less actives’ names to work with at a time, and if  they come or fall through, when we do our part, he will give us five more. So it's going on. Slowly. Story of my life, haha. But it's okay.
     I can't believe Tyson is coming into the field! I mean Elder Anderson. That's so awesome. I told him to email me when he's out but who knows if that will really happen, haha.
Love,
Elder Doggett

Whoa, everyone is growing up and hitting the mission field!  "The revelations came down and the floods (of missionaries) came up, the revelations came down and the floods came up..." :)


No comments:

Post a Comment