Dear Family and Friends,
This week was really hectic. Transfer week. Our new apartment was not ready in time, so the Zone Leaders moved over to the Swedru apartment. Now the day after tomorrow we'll move into the new place. I'm excited, the new place is really nice.
Our transfers were strange. Because the mission is growing so fast, President is opening new areas all over and trying to make room. This transfer E. Ike and E. Jensen moved to the Zone Leaders old area and the ZLs took over theirs in our branch. President needed to get his Zone Leaders more central because he's going to put more missionaries in an even farther area in the zone. Everything is growing so fast, it's really cool to watch.
This week was really hectic. Transfer week. Our new apartment was not ready in time, so the Zone Leaders moved over to the Swedru apartment. Now the day after tomorrow we'll move into the new place. I'm excited, the new place is really nice.
Our transfers were strange. Because the mission is growing so fast, President is opening new areas all over and trying to make room. This transfer E. Ike and E. Jensen moved to the Zone Leaders old area and the ZLs took over theirs in our branch. President needed to get his Zone Leaders more central because he's going to put more missionaries in an even farther area in the zone. Everything is growing so fast, it's really cool to watch.
This morning we went to the
beach in Winneba and played some ultimate frisbee and handball. It was really
fun actually. And the sand was really hot. It was a great way to let off some
stress. The Ivies made a picnic for us. It was quite nice. I really love
having them around; they're pretty much like our parents, haha.
So I had an epiphany the
other day when I wanted to scratch a mosquito bite. Everyone knows that if you
scratch it, it will only itch more and get worse, right? It's like Satan and
his ridiculous temptations. A thought will come to your head and then you'll
think about it a moment. "Should I scratch it? I really want to. But wait,
if I do that won't end up well for me. Just do it! No---" Haha so think of
your temptations like mosquito bites. They're annoying, small, and completely
unnecessary in your life.
We have a few progressing investigators. But they are progressing sooooo sloooowly. Mom, it doesn't matter how many lessons we have, if people don't actually progress in their gospel learning and commitments. There is an older man called J. who was investigating the church some few years ago but stopped. One of his friends, a member, introduced us and we've been teaching. He comes to church, but the problem is we can't see him until the weekend, and even then sometimes we miss him, so it's moving so slow. He has the desire to be baptized though. He wants to become a full member and enjoy the blessings.
Another investigator who I really like is named S.; he is 19. This kid is seriously the most intelligent person I've met here. We call him Solomon the Wise, haha. He called us over one day and asked us what we were preaching about, so we explained and set a return appointment. He's really interested in finding the true gospel. He has studied the scriptures very well, asked a lot of opinions on religion, and he asks DEEP questions, which I just love. It's so nice to teach someone who is a bit of a challenge intellectually. He has stated that he has interest in being a missionary. He would be POWERFUL if he became a member. He's having trouble attending church though, because he's a youth teacher in his church. But, he is very honest with us, and I respect him so much for that. I get really tired and frustrated at people who lie to us all the time. It's just so socially accepted here.
We also have been teaching a 13 year old part member who is very smart. Her grandmother is a long-time member and they both come to church together. She gets bored sometimes when we teach the way we do because she comprehends things so much faster than most people here; we're used to teaching at a slower pace. We set a date for her in October ending, but we found out according to President Shulz's regulation, we needed to wait 3 months for her to become comfortable with the church, and to make sure she will stay. So many young people who are baptized here fall away as soon as the missionaries leave.
So things are moving here, just not as fast as I would like them to. Things always move forward though, pretty much no matter what, from what I've seen.
Love,
Elder Dogette (with a French accent)
We have a few progressing investigators. But they are progressing sooooo sloooowly. Mom, it doesn't matter how many lessons we have, if people don't actually progress in their gospel learning and commitments. There is an older man called J. who was investigating the church some few years ago but stopped. One of his friends, a member, introduced us and we've been teaching. He comes to church, but the problem is we can't see him until the weekend, and even then sometimes we miss him, so it's moving so slow. He has the desire to be baptized though. He wants to become a full member and enjoy the blessings.
Another investigator who I really like is named S.; he is 19. This kid is seriously the most intelligent person I've met here. We call him Solomon the Wise, haha. He called us over one day and asked us what we were preaching about, so we explained and set a return appointment. He's really interested in finding the true gospel. He has studied the scriptures very well, asked a lot of opinions on religion, and he asks DEEP questions, which I just love. It's so nice to teach someone who is a bit of a challenge intellectually. He has stated that he has interest in being a missionary. He would be POWERFUL if he became a member. He's having trouble attending church though, because he's a youth teacher in his church. But, he is very honest with us, and I respect him so much for that. I get really tired and frustrated at people who lie to us all the time. It's just so socially accepted here.
We also have been teaching a 13 year old part member who is very smart. Her grandmother is a long-time member and they both come to church together. She gets bored sometimes when we teach the way we do because she comprehends things so much faster than most people here; we're used to teaching at a slower pace. We set a date for her in October ending, but we found out according to President Shulz's regulation, we needed to wait 3 months for her to become comfortable with the church, and to make sure she will stay. So many young people who are baptized here fall away as soon as the missionaries leave.
So things are moving here, just not as fast as I would like them to. Things always move forward though, pretty much no matter what, from what I've seen.
Love,
Elder Dogette (with a French accent)
P.S.
Elder R. who just went home, sideswiped a trotro in the mission van like
a month ago, haha. He drove like a true-blooded Ghanaian!
No comments:
Post a Comment