Monday, November 11, 2013

ROACHES BE GONE!

Tricked-out bike
Dear Family and Friends,
            Transfer news: we are both staying here in Swedru. But we're moving into a new apartment next week, with the Zone Leaders. I've seen the apartment, it is NICE. It has real windows, not those cheap lever ones. I'll admit, I was hoping to leave Swedru. I love being with Elder Cowan, but the slow areas are starting to grind me down. So I'll count my blessings instead: the new place will be very quiet (no more apostate churches going off at 5 AM), the apartment will stay clean (the ZLs never have time to eat in), we'll be a two minute walk from the chapel, we'll hear lots of fun news from the ZLs, we'll finally have a fan for study, we'll have our own toilet and shower (with a NICE showerhead), Elder Baird (from Preston) has a washing machine we can use, we'll be normal missionaries again (no more training), and finally, we'll probably get to see some of the people we've been working with for a long time get baptized!
            At district meeting this week I had assigned Elder ______ to instruct, and he did a swell job. He instructed on how important are gospel conversations and working with members. It was interesting to me, because when I was assigned him in [a different area], he wasn't doing those things……. It was rewarding to me to see how strong he had become in those areas, and to hear his experiences…….. He's a really powerful missionary now. He was just assigned to be a DL himself.
            Well, there's not much for this week. Better luck next time.

Love,
Elder Doggett

P.S.  I forgot to mention the cockroaches. They've been slowly invading our holy edifices where our food resides--- the cupboards. This was an ongoing battle. Last week I hosed the kitchen with strongly mixed permethrin in an attempt to drive them out. In fact, that's all it did, they just came back into the cupboards when it dried. I think they're immune. No wonder these things can survive a nuclear blast. So Elder Ivie bought us some Target bug spray  (I looked on the ingredients and found out that it's pretty much just butane and kerosene, who woulda thought?) and finally, we've seen the end of the roaches. I can't describe how satisfying it was when the can started spraying like 400 MPH and I just went to town on them. Revenge is sweet...


Sleeping with "Maggie"

No comments:

Post a Comment