FRESH ORANGE JUICE, STORMS AND A BAPTISM
![]() |
| Orange juice party! |
Dear Family and Friends,
This week
was super busy and stressful. My companion had to go on splits twice this week,
because he is the DL. We had a Zone Conference which was pretty cool, all about
being a consecrated missionary. We had full days, and we were preparing F. for baptism, which happened right after a ward conference.
The baptism
took place yesterday after church, and it went ok. ___________ didn't fulfill his duties like he said he would. Once again, this is a big
challenge here. Most people have no sense of responsibility, everything usually
ends up falling on somebody else's shoulders. It's extremely frustrating for
me, because I do everything I can to do what I've said I will do, and so many
people here simply don't care. I don't want to complain too much, but that has
been bothering me all week. The baptism was good though, we had a sweet member
from the ward perform the baptism. He's a really nice kid, he was just made an
elder a few months ago, and he is goaling for a mission. I love to work with
the prospective missionaries, they're always so ready to help teach.
Our
Saturday was interesting this week. We were in the middle of a lesson when we
suddenly noticed how dark the skies were. It started raining and we kept
teaching until it started blowing in through the screens. We were just in this
little porch that didn't have real windows. The rain blowing through the screen
was just pushing all the dirt through it and getting it all over us, haha so we
had to abort the lesson and take cover. It lasted just over and hour, and it
flooded like crazy. It was fun to watch though; extreme weather is always
exciting.
As we were
passing the church one day this week, we saw the scouts out in the car park,
standing at attention. So we went over to watch their meeting a bit. To my
surprise, there is a big African scout program that they run here. It was
amusing, because they were all standing at attention, and the leaders were
teaching them how to properly march and stuff. I thought the whole
regimentation of it all was funny, because back home it is so casual. They were
there at the ward conference putting up the flags and stuff.
Last week
we found a juicer in the apartment! It was tucked away up in the corner of one
cabinet. We were so excited that we bought a bag of 50 oranges for 5 cedis and
juiced them all yesterday. It was a sweet deal, it made 3 litres. Where if you
buy juice at the store for 5 cedis you'll get like 1 litre. Anyways, we soon
realized how pathetic it was that we were getting all jazzed over a cheap China
juicer, haha. Missionaries...
So back to
the Zone Conference we had. President Shulz gave a lot of insight as to how to
become a consecrated missionary. I've been reflecting on his instruction, and
another talk I've read recently, and I've been setting personal goals. There is
always something you can work on to become better. D&C 31:5 states that if
we thrust in our sickles with all our might, we are forgiven of our sins.
That's a powerful prospect and it is what is driving me to become better.
Mom, Just remember that no effort is wasted in missionary work.
Every Book of Mormon handed out goes somewhere, and will be found by somebody; every testimony gets heard. I just heard a story from Elder Miskin, where one
of his EFY counselors handed out a BOM to a non-member girl at a
soccer camp. She wrote her testimony and everything in it. She never heard from
her. Fifteen years later she gets a Facebook message from some woman saying,
"Thank you so much for your testimony and sharing the BOM, here's a
picture of my family sealed in the temple." It wasn't even from the same
girl, just a stranger that her BOM fell into the hands of.
Elder Doggett
![]() |
| Ghanaian scouts |
![]() |
| Add caption |



No comments:
Post a Comment