Email from Jan. 6, 2014:
REFLECTIONS ON STEEL, GOLD AND DIAMONDS.....
Dear Family and Friends,
My dark
year is finally over! The 'dark year' is considered the whole year that you
don't see your family on mission. I saw them in 2012, and I'll see them in 2014.
The ward had a huge watch night party that we went to. There is actually an African American sister in the ward from California, and she brought her next
door neighbor, so we started chatting him up. We are yet to get into contact
with him again. Obviously, we went home at like 9, so we could sleep, haha. No
such thing as a night life as a missionary. If there is, you're not doing
anything good!
In a recent
email, my dad said something that has caused me to reflect. He was commenting
on the struggles of my last area, but also on the blessings. It's like HE was
counting MY blessings for me. Specifically, he touched on how Elder and Sister
Ivie came into field when they did to give us support and counsel. Thinking
back, every time the Ivies gave us a hand, or a meal, it was a welcome respite.
I did have a lot of blessings there.
My father
on earth said, "All these things are proof that the Lord really IS who he
says he is." At the same time, my Father in Heaven confirmed it in my
heart. I had a large sense of reality in that moment. An overwhelming feeling
of love washed over me as I realized just how infinitely more wise the Lord is
than I. We missionaries are in his hands, whether we know it or not. I think it
can best be described in a recent quote from President Monson in the October
2013 General Relief Society Meeting of Conference. "You will one day stand
aside and look at your difficult times, and you will realize that He was always
there beside you." I can see that now.
My time in
Swedru was extremely difficult for me. More so, honestly, than I usually let
on. I didn't have a lot of drive to work, and I was tired of failures. I was
confused as to why I also had extra responsibilities given to me. Now I know.
There is a reason I was called as a trainer and district leader at that time,
specifically. If I didn't have those responsibilities, I may have come out of
that area much differently. My callings pushed me to be an example to my district
and mission son. (and E. Cowan turned out to be an example to me, too.) They
pushed me to work when I didn't want to, which was often. In fact, they pushed
me so hard that they pushed me right out of that hole I was in.
Through
extreme temperatures and long hours of pounding, a common metal rod is
transformed into a beautiful blade of precious steel. Through a refiner's fire,
the impurities of gold melt away, allowing it to achieve it's potential.
Through intense and prolonged pressures, the blackest coal becomes the most
magnificent diamond. So it is with us.
Love,
Elder Doggett
![]() |
| Enjoying American hamburger in Africa |

No comments:
Post a Comment