Renegade hen...and another sweet baptism
![]() |
| Baptism of J., Feb 23, 2014 |
Dear Family and Friends,
I heard this week that Swedru became a stake. I remember
they were pushing really hard when I was there, so that's cool for them.
Funny story this week. We closed our day one night and we spent some time discussing and planning. We said a prayer, then as I began to undress I saw a chicken spying at me from behind the door in our room. It just stood there without moving a muscle or making a sound. Elder Ma'afu saw me staring, so he glanced over and casually said, "Well how'd that get there?" Suddenly I remembered how the lights had gone off when we came home for lunch, and I opened the front door wide to get a breeze coming in. The hen clearly moseyed on in at that time unnoticed by us. Haha we had locked it in our bedroom all day. My comp got a broom and began to push it into the hall, then out the front door. It drunkenly staggered around and gave a few pathetic squawks. It was probably starving. Ooops. When we pushed her out the front door she tried to come back in, but ended up passing out on our porch in a very homeless manner. Needless to say, she left little presents all over our floor that I had to seek out and mop up, haha. So that was amusing.
There are many people here that set up shops without license. A few times since I've been in Takoradi we've seen all the shops along the road just obliterated. There are some guys that go around with red spray cans and mark, "Remove or produce license by 'such and such date' " on all the shops that are illegal. Then randomly, they will come with a backhoe and wreck all of them if they don't comply. It's kind of unfortunate for those selling, but I guess it's just how they have to enforce the law here.
We had one candidate baptised after church yesterday, J. She's a 13 year old from a part member family. We've been working with her for some time now, since I got here. She's progressed a LOT in that time. The baptism service went very well. Everyone played their parts and we had member support. We were a bit worried the day before because the water wasn't flowing to fill the font (a common problem here). But in the morning it was running just fine.
We have been beyond busy these past two weeks, it's so fun. We've been improving member relations and we're starting to see fruits of our efforts. We received two solid referrals and we're contacting people on the daily. Elder Ma'afu is a machine; a very hard worker. And holy smokes, that man can eat! We have just mountains of rice everyday for lunch, haha.
Love, Elder Doggett
Funny story this week. We closed our day one night and we spent some time discussing and planning. We said a prayer, then as I began to undress I saw a chicken spying at me from behind the door in our room. It just stood there without moving a muscle or making a sound. Elder Ma'afu saw me staring, so he glanced over and casually said, "Well how'd that get there?" Suddenly I remembered how the lights had gone off when we came home for lunch, and I opened the front door wide to get a breeze coming in. The hen clearly moseyed on in at that time unnoticed by us. Haha we had locked it in our bedroom all day. My comp got a broom and began to push it into the hall, then out the front door. It drunkenly staggered around and gave a few pathetic squawks. It was probably starving. Ooops. When we pushed her out the front door she tried to come back in, but ended up passing out on our porch in a very homeless manner. Needless to say, she left little presents all over our floor that I had to seek out and mop up, haha. So that was amusing.
There are many people here that set up shops without license. A few times since I've been in Takoradi we've seen all the shops along the road just obliterated. There are some guys that go around with red spray cans and mark, "Remove or produce license by 'such and such date' " on all the shops that are illegal. Then randomly, they will come with a backhoe and wreck all of them if they don't comply. It's kind of unfortunate for those selling, but I guess it's just how they have to enforce the law here.
We had one candidate baptised after church yesterday, J. She's a 13 year old from a part member family. We've been working with her for some time now, since I got here. She's progressed a LOT in that time. The baptism service went very well. Everyone played their parts and we had member support. We were a bit worried the day before because the water wasn't flowing to fill the font (a common problem here). But in the morning it was running just fine.
We have been beyond busy these past two weeks, it's so fun. We've been improving member relations and we're starting to see fruits of our efforts. We received two solid referrals and we're contacting people on the daily. Elder Ma'afu is a machine; a very hard worker. And holy smokes, that man can eat! We have just mountains of rice everyday for lunch, haha.
Love, Elder Doggett
P.S. Often in lessons I share some things that Mom
has told me about her conversion. Actually, thinking back, I quote you and Mom
a lot in lessons, just phrases that you guys have said that stick out to me.
Especially your chastising, "You NEVER shirk your duty onto other
people". I like that one, and I've used it a lot!
![]() |
| Chilling at district meeting in our apartment |


No comments:
Post a Comment