"[We] were sitting at the table...... when we heard a voice from the bathroom, 'Elder Moore... Elder Moore! There's a giant scorpion in the bathroom.'"
![]() |
| With A., who took us in during a downpour |
Dear Family and Friends,
I
got a call from the Assistants the other day, informing me that my MTC group
will have to fly out on September 28, 2014. My year mark. It's a Sunday, so
that's kinda strange. The reason is there will be a big mission president's
seminar from October 14-18. They originally wanted to extend the two weeks
again,but decided to just ship us early. So that's that.
Elder
Mocke was rudely interrupted in the bathroom this week. Elder Moore, Stoddard,
and I were sitting at the table discussing Star Wars when we heard a voice from
the bathroom, "Elder Moore... Elder Moore! There's a giant scorpion in the
bathroom." Haha! We ran in
excitedly to find Elder Mocke hiding behind the curtain partition in their
cramped washroom, with El Scorpio, AKA 'Captain Pinchy' sitting about a foot
away from him in the corner. It's like they were having a staring contest.
After laughing and taking pictures, we let Elder Mocke finish up. So he gets a
Tupperware, catches the thing, and starts chasing Moore and Stoddard around the
apartment to get revenge. It was hilarious, Elder Moore was terrified! So we
poked it and took pictures of it. If you'd have laid it out claw to stinger it
was over 6 inches, I bet. Since we failed to find any insects for it to victimize,
we tried feeding it an English Yorkshire toffee. No dice. Elder Moore said he
couldn't sleep until it was dead, so Elder Stoddard took Captain Pinchy outside
and mutilated him with a shovel. What a champ.
In
other news, I am pleased to announce that after nearly 19 months of faithful
service in the Lord's vineyard, I got my hands on an electric guitar and a drum
set. There was some church set up in the futbol park for an Easter celebration,
and as we passed by on the way home, I stopped to seize my opportunity. I
started some small talk with the guys hanging around the instruments, then
asked to play the guitar. I tuned it and played some classics, like Sweet Child
O' Mine, Sweet Home Alabama, Purple Haze, Johnny B. Goode, etc. One of the
Ghanaians hopped on the drums and layed down a beat for me. Haha! It was so
awesome! Then I got on the drums myself and immediately realized how rusty I
was. I went to do a drum fill and just utterly stalled. It was incredibly fun
though.
Don't
worry, while I dinked around, Elder Ma'afu had a solid gospel conversation with
one of the guys watching Obruni play Obruni music, (anything a white man does
here is entertaining). We got his phone number and we're planning to meet him
tomorrow. Worth it.
Earlier
that same day, was the first time on my mission when one of our investigators
actually said she got an answer to her prayer about our message. M. is a sweet
lady we met a while ago and have been in and out of contact with. She just
moved, so it's been hectic. As we reviewed, she asked us how we should feel
when the Holy Ghost answers us. We answered that some people describe it was a
warm, full feeling inside... Immediately she cut us off and said, "Oh, ok.
I was asking because when I prayed about Joseph Smith, that's what I felt. I
felt all warm inside.” We glady testified to her that that was the Holy Ghost.
We gave her a BOM to read and pray over again.
I
was very surprised to hear her comment, because Africans in general are
desensitized to the Spirit. Partly because this place is constantly filled with
noise, chaos, and distractions. Partly because they don't know how to listen
for the Spirit, they want to see real, physical evidence. (Ironically, even
when we give them that in the form of
the Book of Mormon, they don't read it). But no matter who you are, where
you're from, or where you are, when you get a quiet moment to sincerely ponder
and pray over the missionaries' message, the truth will be opened unto you.
Elder
Ma'afu and I were commenting on how one of our members had just performed a
traditional coming-of-age rite for his daughters this weekend. Ma'afu said he
was so surpirsed when he read the Law of Moses, because many rites and
performances were nearly identical with some of his Tongan traditions. Even some
Ghanaian traditions are similar to Mosaic Law. Wedding dowry, coming of age,
sacrifices, etc. I know that Ma'afu's people came from Hagoth in the Book of
Mormon, a Nephite who sailed away from the mainland around 55 BC. At that time,
they were still practicing the Law of Moses. They were a part of the scattering
of Israel. I know there were many others who were led away scattered throughout
the entire world. That's probably why so many nations have all these similar
traditions linking to each other and the Law of Moses. That's so interesting to
me.
In
terms of missionary work, we had a down week. Not a lot happened, except we had
two investigators come to church for the first time, so that's exciting. Coming
to church is the biggest indicator of a sincere investigator in Ghana.
![]() |
| Captain Pinchy |




No comments:
Post a Comment