Monday, February 25, 2013


 "As I stood watching everyone gather, singing the final verse, I began to tear up a little....I was so happy to see this unity, the entire branch gathering for a baptism. I was also so happy for Christina. It hit me then that this is what mission is about--- bringing souls unto Christ, and rejoicing together in His gospel."

Dear Family and Friends,
     Christina was baptized this Saturday. She is so powerful.  She was a referral from a member, Sis. Woode. Christina is her daughter, recently returned from Nigeria. When we first started teaching, she was shy and a little unanimated. But as soon as she came to church, that all changed. She saw the truth and felt the Spirit immediately. Ever since then, she has given us time to see her everyday---and she has worked really hard to learn everything. So I know church attendance is very important for every investigator, especially in Ghana.
     We had such a powerful baptismal service. Christina was the first person to be baptized in the new font at the new Ntranoa building (we're just waiting for furnishings now). I was a little worried about having members at the service in light of Linda's baptism back in December. But the last few days, Elder James and I visited every member of the branch personally to invite them and gave some of them assignments for the program.
     As we waited inside for the font to fill, the few of us present sung some hymns. As we sang all 7 verses of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief", there was such a sweet spirit as all the members began to show up. I got up to stand in the back because we ran out of chairs. As I stood watching everyone gather, singing the final verse, I began to tear up a little. The final verse is really cool, go read it. I was so happy to see this unity, the entire branch gathering for a baptism. I was also so happy for Christina. It hit me then that this is what mission is about--- bringing souls unto Christ, and rejoicing together in his gospel.
     There was such a peaceful spirit there for the whole meeting. I was so pleased to see the support of the members. They gave talks and said prayers; everyone played their part so smoothly. We recently taught Linda to pray in Brofo(English), so she said the closing prayer. So proud of her. Bro. Myers was holding Jojo, Linda's baby boy. Afterwards, everyone congratulated Christina; Sis. Myers gave her a huge bear hug. Our other investigator, G., was there, and Maame walked away with him afterwards talking his ear off, being a missionary. Just so much UNITY. Having the new building here, with a font, just got everyone so jazzed and motivated. Branch President Thompson made a goal of 50 convert baptisms by the end of 2013. I think the branch is ready to give it their all. It's a high goal, but not impossible. The members here have been waiting for their own building for years; they're ready to convert the place, haha.
     Christina was very happy to be baptized by Elder James. She's quiet, reserved, and doesn't smile much, but I could tell she was pleased. We visited her and Sis. Woode that evening and she couldn't say 'thank you' enough. She said she was surprised to see so many people there, I think that will really help her integrate into the branch. Sis. Woode was so excited all day, she called us ten times throughout, haha.
     Christina apparently thought G. would be baptized with her, and she was actually concerned for him when he wasn't. She feels how important  this gospel is, and she wants him to feel it too.
     And that brings us to G. We found out on Tuesday that he's started drinking again. He told us it was in his past when we taught Word of Wisdom, but he told us on Tuesday he had it again, and he gave no clear reason when we asked. The problem is, he didn't show any remorse for knowingly breaking God's commandments, he just felt sorry for doing something his white friends told him not to. He even said he asked God for forgiveness with the drink in his hand, then downed it. So he doesn't understand repentance either, like we thought he did. We have no idea how much he really understands, and he just sees us as his 'white brothers'. So we're going to lean on the members a lot from now on with him. We're not giving up.
     This entire week had me down, mostly because of G.’s relapse, but we also ran out of people to teach because nobody would keep commitments. This week was hot, slow, and hard to bear. But  the weekend made up for every minute of that.
     We had a miracle at church this week, too. We were only expecting one investigator. We had 5. And we're still at the Elmina building! I was amazed. As each one showed up I was just so happy to see them. A few came before meeting started and 3 came during the meeting. One girl was a 13 year old.  We told her she had to come to church if we were going to continue teaching her. That was weeks ago. Finally she showed up out of the blue---wearing blue, actually now that I think of it--- all alone. But she loved it. After sacrament was passed, Elder James nudged me, "Felix is here." He pointed to the right and I didn't see him so I looked to the left and saw another sitting at the back. "Dude, so is Appiah," I said. Haha we just looked at each other all wide eyed and split up to go sit with them. Even Sis. Salasi showed up today with her son, Prince! I was honestly flabbergasted to see her walk in, but I was ecstatic. We had tried everything in the past to re-activate her with no success. Mom, I don't know what you wrote in that letter with the package, but it must have worked! She hasn't been to church in 2 years.
     I had the privilege of confirming for the first time. Christina sat in front of the congregation and I performed the ordinance and gave her a blessing, with a member of the branch standing in. I was a little nervous, but it turned out well. I was really excited that some investigators got to witness that.
     It was funny, in Priesthood, we were talking about the branch goal of 50 converts and how we can accomplish it. And our investigator Appiah started pitching in ideas to bring more people---and he's a youth leader in another church! Ha ha, it was only his first time with us, too. Little does he know, he's a part of that number himself. I was praying that he would feel the Spirit all meeting, he's a really smart guy. He would be a powerful member.
     I really do not want to leave this area right now. Transfer news is at the end of this week. Elder James and I feel like we'll both be staying, though. I know that when I do leave this area, I will really miss it. I've gotten to know the members so well, and we've gained their absolute trust as missionaries. Not to mention, leaving my converts. There is a special connection between a convert and a missionary.
     Dad, thanks for the pictures! Mom, I hadn't heard about the Accra mission. News travels really slow here... Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it soon. I made mashed potatoes from scratch the other night and it was awesome. I really didn't know what I was doing and Elder Carstens was giving me guff because I'm from Idaho. But I showed him!  They were super good! Oh and I made unhealthy, oily french fries again. Love you Mom! :)

And I love everyone else, too.
Elder Clinton Doggett

No comments:

Post a Comment