"So the last two weeks, Elder James and I have been waking up from this stupid toad croaking just beneath our window all night. This week, we decided to declare a jihad on the thing and catch it."
Dear Family and Friends,
Our meetinghouse will be finished in 3
days. Pumped. The work really has slowed down as we are waiting for that
roadblock to be removed.
Mom, I got your package this week to
Sister Salasi. She was a little shocked when I handed it so her. We visited a
few days later to ask how she liked it, she got all giggly. I could tell
she really appreciated it. It's easy to tell when Ghanaians are really happy :)
I hope the testimony you wrote to her helps in some way!
So the last two weeks, Elder James and
I have been waking up from this stupid toad croaking just beneath our window
all night. This week, we decided to declare a jihad on the thing and catch it.
So we did. We pulled off this huge cement drain cover under the window, and
there was this fat, ugly toad chilling there. So we used some buckets to wash
him into the gutter, and lure him into the bucket. We took some pictures and
poked him with a stick a bit, then threw him out far from the window. We didn't
feel like killing him, but we vowed to put him to death by stoning if he
returned. So far, all is well...
We also found out we can get on top of
our flat recently. You can just follow the stairs all the way up and the doors
are open at the top. We've been going up there to watch the lightning when
storms roll through. The lightning storms here are really intense, the sad part
is they blow through in like 40 minutes. I miss storms in the States where the
rain hangs around all day. Here, it will rain, the storm blows through, and the
sun comes out to steam everything up like a rice cooker.
The highlight of this week was the
meeting with Elder Cook. He was actually coming through just to see the slave
castle, but President Shulz invited him to speak and he accepted. So it was
pretty impromptu, he didn't really have a script. Which was awesome, because
you could see that he was a real person. He talked about his thoughts
going through the castle. It reminded him of the Great Awakening going on in
the US when the church was brought forth. As all these Reformers were doing
their work, Jospeh Smith had the first vision. Then only three years after the
church was organized, in 1833, Wilberforce passed legislation in Parliament to
abolish slavery. He bore his testimony about the truthfulness of the
Restoration, how it seriously came about in the perfect time in this world,
which had been prepared by the Lord. I would have never connected that from
seeing the castle. To me, it just shows that you can connect anything in this
world to the Gospel, and somehow Apostles can do that. That's just how they're
minds work, I guess.
Elder Cook was a huge part of writing
PMG (Preach My Gospel) so he had some killer insights on how to use it and such. But one of the
things he said really stuck out to me about missionary work: He said, 'I
see you all as branch builders, to help in any way you can. Converting people
is only a part of your work.' That's something our mission really needed
to hear. Honestly, a lot of guys get obsessed with numbers in this mission.
It's a baptizing mission, and Africa is the fastest growing area in the church
right now. Sometimes our leaders get pressured to produce numbers, numbers,
numbers. But Elder Cook reminded us all that it's not like that. These people
are living souls. They're real people. They're not numbers. Getting a baptism
is about a person and his or her commitment to follow Jesus Christ, it is NOT a
trophy to wave in front of people. Elder James and I have been trying to be
very conscious of that.
At the end, he gave our mission an
Apostolic blessing. It was really cool. He blessed us with strength and courage
to press forward in the work. He blessed us that we may open our mouths and our
tongues will be loosed to proclaim the everlasting gospel. Then, he gave us a
specific blessing. He promised us that sometime in our lives, we will see the
blessing of serving our missions--- in ourselves, in our children, in our
future spouses, in church callings, and in the lives of those people we teach
and bring to the gospel. That was really comforting to me, because it's a
blessing. From an Apostle! If I can continue to live worthily and diligently, I WILL see that blessing in my life.
Ha,ha, something else was kinda funny he
said. Elder Cook and Elder Holland served in the same mission in London in like
1962, they were even companions toward the end of their missions. So I guess
they're like best friends. Elder Cook was telling us he was making fun of Elder
Holland for something he said on one of our missionary training videos. Elder
Holland said, 'When one of your investigators doesn't read from the Book
of Mormon the assignment you gave them, be DEVASTATED!' When Elder Cook
visited some pacific islander missionaries, they asked him about that [after watching the video]. The only
thing they knew about devastation was from like hurricanes and stuff, so they
thought that he wanted them to wreck the room and go crazy or something. So
Elder Cook told Elder Holland he should have said 'disappointed' or something.
But what was funny is that every time Elder Cook mentioned Elder Holland, he
called him 'Jeff'. Ha ha, it just made me laugh to think of all the members of
the 12 being on a first-name basis.
Cook: 'Hey Jeff, way to go on that training
video!'
Holland: 'Quentin, I don't find your sarcasm
amusing.'
Hahahaha I have too much fun. Anyhow,
all is well down here in the heat and stuff.
Love and junk,
Elder Clinton Doggett"
No comments:
Post a Comment