Monday, February 11, 2013



"Elder Curtis also gave a commentary on the 'eye of faith' mentioned in Alma 32. He explained that 'looking forward with an eye of faith' is to look at people and situations as they COULD be....  I guess when you look at people like this, you are seeing a person who is still yet to be. You have to look forward with an eye of faith, trusting that through the Lord's will, and influence of the Holy Ghost, people can change for the better." 


Abura and Cape Coast Zones 
Elder  James, Elder Doggett



"Dear Family and Friends,
     This week has been pretty promising. We have 2 investigators progressing very fast, and the building should be finished in two weeks. 
     Meanwhile, we've been cooking up a storm.  I'm having a blast.  I got your last envelope this week, thanks a ton for the dictionary! I need to hold on to me English roots, Ghana has a way of making you... furgete eenglishe.  Also, the Chex mix made it okay, just a little smashed. I'll have to eat it with a spoon. Oh, you should send more tootsie rolls, they held up fine, and they're amazing. 
     The pictures you send in that envelope about made me die! Sam got married??? Holy smokes, you have to keep sending me the wedding announcements and invitations of people I know when you get them. Also, the picture of Zach and Tyson at Zach's farewell killed me. Tyson and his lame goatee, ha, ha. That guy still hasn't written me back. But thank you, the pictures are great.
     Recently, we've gotten pretty close to the members here, and we found out some cool stuff. Two guys, Brother Myers and Brother Ampiah, were some of the first members in Ghana, or as they say, 'Black Africa'. They were part of this preacher's congregation back in the 70s, his name was Patriarch Johnson. Apparently he went to the USA, found the Book of Mormon, and brought it back. He baptized his entire congregation the right way, by immersion. They tried to follow the teachings the best they could. Then, when missionaries finally came, they taught them about authority, and everyone was baptized again, and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Some of these guys down here are pioneers, seriously. Brother Myers cracks me up, the guy has to be like 65 years old but he acts like a teenager. Most Africans have a pretty good sense of humour, and these guys are ridiculous. But, they do know there is a time and a place. 
     So the meeting on Wednesday was really uplifting. President Shulz and his wife spoke, and so did Elder Curtis and his wife. We met for about 4 hours. Elder Curtis is a powerful man. A few things he talked about stuck out to me. First, he was talking about filling the shoes of your calling. He related a story about him being called as the bishop of his ward. He said, 'You know how sometimes the Spirit just whispers to you that you need to be better? I think sometimes the Lord gives you a calling to tell you that you need to be just a little bit better.' He talked about how even being a Seventy, he gets the feeling he should try harder. I was thinking back, on how I felt about being a missionary before I came and stuff. I felt that same way, I felt that I couldn't live up to it or something. But you just learn as you go. I definitely agree, the Lord gives you callings to shape you up, and make you better than you were before--- only if you let Him. 
     Elder Curtis also gave a commentary on the 'eye of faith' mentioned in Alma 32. He explained that 'looking forward with an eye of faith' is to look at people and situations as they COULD be. Look at situations asking, 'What is the Lord's eternal purpose for this?' And try to imagine people how they could become. It reminded me of President Monson's talk this last October, 'See Others as They May Become'. There was a missionary who had great success, and one of the general authorities asked him how he did it. He said that he pictured everyone he met in a better situation--- clean shaven, standing in white clothes in the temple. I guess when you look at people like this, you are seeing a person who is still yet to be. You have to look forward with an eye of faith, trusting that through the Lord's will, and influence of the Holy Ghost, people can change for the better. I think it's a powerful tactic, I'm going to try and employ it more in the future.
     So, last time I said that we wouldn't be meeting with Elder Cook. Psych! Apparently, since he is down here, he will be doing all that he can while he's in Ghana. He's meeting with bishops and stake presidents, and touring all three missions. We will have a meeting with him on Wednesday. Elder James suggested that we go to the meeting fasting. I think that's a good plan, you don't get to meet an apostle every day. I'm really excited, I got a lot of good insight from Elder Curtis, so I'm expecting more from Elder Cook.
     Now I want to talk a little bit about our investigator, G. We met him back in December, and it's been okay. When you teach a lesson with G., it's kinda more like a wrestling match. You're wrestling for him to keep focus on the subject, mostly. Since we are white guys, he likes to show off his vocabulary and try to say everything a different way. He just doesn't understand that it's so much easier for us to get straight, simple answers. He's been to Europe a lot, and so he loves use huge English words, that he sometimes doesn't even know the meaning of. But that's not the most interesting part. Something about G. is a little... off. It's hard to explain.  Some few weeks ago, we had an absolutely terrible lesson with G. He wouldn't listen to a thing we said. Whenever we started talking, his eyes just glossed over and his mind disappeared. Then when he started talking or trying to answer our questions, he went extremely off topic and talked for 20 minutes. We had a member with us, and he tried to help out, but to no avail. We were teaching repentance, which is one of the most important lessons. After giving a small example of stealing a pen, Elder James said, 'Ok, so if Elder Dogget repents of stealing the pen, and returns it to me, then immediately goes out and kills a man on the street, will he be forgiven? Is that good?' G. just smiled and nodded, and said, 'Yeah, yeah that's good.' Elder James said, 'If Elder Doggett kills a man, its ok?' G. said, 'Yes.' So his mind was absolutely gone. We asked the member if he noticed anything, he said, 'yeah, I think he's been drinking or something.' So we decided to ask more about G., because he grew up here. We ended up asking President Thompson's wife if she knew anything about him. And, to our surprise, she knows him pretty well. To make a long story shorter, this is what happened: G. was into lottery and drug smuggling, in and out of Europe. Hard drugs, too. Once, he swallowed a bag of cocaine to smuggle it on the plane, and it burst inside him and overdosed him hard. So since then, he's been a little strange. That stuff will scramble your brains. Once, Sister Thompson even saw him get randomly violent. He smashed a bottle and threatened someone with it or something of the like. She has known him for a long time.
     At first, we were annoyed that nobody warned us about any of this, because we thought that everyone knew. But really, Sister Thompson is the one who knew the most, everyone else just had suspicions. We've been very careful since finding this information, and we immediately taught him Word of Wisdom. He didn't come all the way clean, but I think he did well. During the Word of Wisdom lesson, I payed extreme attention to everything he said and did. Elder James payed attention to how he felt, looking for spiritual promptings. We came to the conclusion that he really wants to change. He is ready to move forward. We are taking it slow with him though. And we spoke with the ward council, about how we really need help on this one, G. has special needs. So the members are helping a ton with fellowshipping him and making him feel welcome. 
    Mom, don't worry, he won't get violent with us. The guy loves us like brothers. He's really a good guy. We decided that just because he has a past, it would go against our purpose to stop teaching him. Everyone has a past of somekind. He's actually progressing well, I have a good feeling about him. The gospel changes lives, truly.
    Well, I'm outta time, update next week!
Love,
Elder Clinton Doggett"





No comments:

Post a Comment