".....when it rains here, Ghana shuts down. People don't know what to do. So we prayed that we may be able to fill our time--- and for rain. I kid you not, the second we said 'Amen', we heard the wind start blowing and stuff crashing outside. We looked out the window to see this huge storm blowing in, and it started raining."
| Elder Doggett with Baba......his future wife (according to her). |
Dear Family and Friends,
I have a lot to say this time, but I
have to get this one off my chest. I found Arizonas
today in Cape Coast. Soooooooo stoked. They were 5 cedis,
though. But I found this new store that just opened, ran by a lady who
lived in Minnesota for 33 years. She wanted to open a shop here that is
different, where foreigners can feel comfortable. I'll tell ya, it worked,
haha. That place is loaded with American imports!
Also, recently Elder James and I made a
Fanta float with vanilla ice cream and orange Fanta.
It tasted like home. Orange creamsicle...
This Tuesday we had an interesting
experience. Our district meeting got moved toWednesday so we had a
completely open morning. We knew that when it rains here, Ghana shuts down.
People don't know what to do. So we prayed that we may be able to fill our
time--- and for rain. I kid you not, the second we said 'Amen', we heard
the wind start blowing and stuff crashing outside. We looked out the
window to see this huge storm blowing in. And it started raining. But... we
went out anyway. And we filled our time, by visiting Maame Dadson, the
widow in the branch, and she talked our ears off. She loves to tell us all
about cooking in Ghana.
Not long ago we met a woman called
Sophia in a village called Koful as we walked to our area. She received us
well and said she'd come to church. Every Ghanaian says that, so we
thought nothing of it. But on Sunday, she was there with her sister and
children. When we saw her again to follow up, she said, "Write my
name in your books, I'm here to stay in your church. I won't go to mine
again." We were pretty surprised…..and excited. But she had seen things
wrong with her church--- and seen things right in ours. She noticed so
many things about the service about the service that she loved. Not only
she, but her whole family has received us well. We have been praying for
the Lord to prepare the hearts of those people in the area who will receive the
gospel. He has done it. This woman has been prepared, and we had nothing
to do with it; all we had to do was find her. We thought we were wasting
time that day we walked from our apartment, but the Lord led us to her.
So far on mission, the Lord has been
teaching me patience, but this past transfer he has
moved on to humility, I think. The last few weeks have been
extremely difficult, and with everything that's happened so far, the Lord
has shown me that I am absolutely nothing without him.
One day this week we talked with a guy
on the road between Koful and Ntranoa. He was carrying a monitor, and some
girls were carrying a computer with him. He said he was taking it from a friend's
house for a funeral in Abee. We invited him to church and parted ways. The next
day, we taught a lesson to a girl in Koful, and her brother came over and
asked us if we were walking with a guy with a computer yesterday. He told
us that the guy had stolen the computer from a house in Koful and paid two
random girls to carry it for him. Apparently right after we parted, he
got caught getting into a taxi at the junction. He tricked the girl at the
house in Koful saying he was sent to collect it or something. When she
realized the truth, she sent some guys on the road after him. They barely
caught him before he made off; the boy said,"They beat him to death...
only unfortunately he didn't die." Haha After they apprehended the
guy, the authorities started to ask questions. People who saw said they
saw him walking with two white guys. They concluded that, as we talked
with him all the way down the road, we slowed him just enough that they were
able to catch him. If we hadn't talked to him, he would have gotten away.
They said, "those white men have done well!"
So that's cool. We aided in the capture
of a thief. Ghanaians hate thieves. That's probably why they beat him. Thinking back--- we do slow down when we
talk to people on the road, I guess it was just enough. I guess God has a
few more purposes for his servants that we realize. I just hope this has a
positive effect on the public mind about us.
We met Sophia's brother this week. Her
mother asked us to come and greet her son. We stepped into the little bare
room to see a very tall man sitting on the floor. His leg was wrapped up, obviously
wounded. We sat down next to him and asked what happened. Over 3 years ago, he
was a gold miner and he fell down a mine shaft, breaking his knee and
getting a compound fracture in his femur. HE showed us the infection on
his lower leg and the hole where the bone punctured his skin in this
thigh. He was in the hospital for 3 years. We told him that we, as
missionaries, have the authority and ability to give him a blessing of
healing. He said he'd like that. Elder James blessed him that he could
heal according to his faith, that he would have strength to attend church,
and that he could bring his friends. He was very grateful, he said, "Oh, I will come this Sunday, I can already
fell the strength you have given me." He expressed that he had always
seen the LDS missionaries and had desire to call on them, but never had
until now. So guess who came hobbling into church on Sunday. C.W.E. That's
his name. He came all the way from Koful to Ntranoa, about a kilometer
walk, in the hot morning sun. And he was walking without his stick. When
we met at the beginning of this week, he was using a stick and noticeably
having some trouble getting around. On Sunday, he was walking well without
it. That blessing did something for him, I tell you, whether physically or
mentally he had the drive to attend church. If this man can make the small
journey to church, nobody else has an excuse. Charles was sitting next to
Elder James, and he told him some pretty crazy cool stuff. As Bro. Ampiah was
teaching, he said, "Hey, what this man is teaching--- it is actually
good!" Late on he said, "You know what, this church has always
been in my heart." Apparently he helped build the Takoradi Stake
Center some years back. At last he said, "As I keep coming to Latter
Day Saints, some of my friends will come too. I want them to stop
drinking." Now THIS man has seriously been prepared. Of course, it took
years for him to get to this point, I think he will continue, and I pray he
does. Not to mention, the branch needs somebody who can clean the windows,
and Charles is like 6'7". The tallest Fante I've ever seen haha.
Anyhow, that's my week!
Love,
Elder Clinton Doggett
PS I gotta go drink my Arizonas, they're waiting at home in
the fridge!
No comments:
Post a Comment