"Jesus Christ also told the Nephites and Lamanites, 'he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil...' (3 Nephi 11:29)....... If we are not one, we are not His. We can't let Satan in among us, to destroy the Lord's work. I'm so thankful for the lessons I've learned on my mission so far. The Lord truly knows how to shape me into the person he needs me to be."
| Grasscutter on the bbq, a Ghanaian delicacy! |
Dear Family and Friends,
Transfer news! Elder James and I are
splitting up. Elder James is staying to train in Ntranoa, in the new
apartment we scored some weeks ago, and I am going to Green Hill Branch
in Cape Coast. I'm really going to miss the time I've had with Elder
James, we've gotten along so well together. And we worked our butts off. And we made some
killer awesome food. Ha.ha! We've gone through a lot, and I've learned
tons from it all. I have a feeling I'll be training next transfer, after I get to know my new area. There are a whole
world of new missionaries coming to this mission very soon.
A few weeks ago, I asked Elder Kinikini
if I could buy his other guitar off of him. He said he would just give it to me when he left, but he's been
called to train, so he just dashed it to me the other day. So now I have two! Haha maybe I can teach
some of my future companions. I started to re-string it this morning.
This week, we had almost no
investigators come to church. C. was nowhere to be found and neither was Sophia. Until the second hour. Sophia showed
up late, and she told Elder James, ‘I wasn't planning on coming today, because I wasn't feeling
well. As I was trying to get to sleep, I just couldn't! I kept hearing a voice in my head
telling me to go to church. It wouldn't let me sleep!’ She's a really bubbly, kind woman. I'm a
little sad to be leaving now, and missing her baptism. But maybe Elder James's son (new
mission companion) needs to see a golden investigator in his first area.
We ordered a new Holy Bible for her a few weeks ago and it came last week.
Her Bible was absolutely trashed. We had planned on giving it to her on Sunday
when she came to church, so we did. She was very happy. Tomorrow, we
are introducing the Book of Mormon to her, and we will give her a Fante
version. She has been asking for it, so I'm excited to see her reaction.
Oh, we also gave her a hymn book the other day, because she loves singing.
She was the 'praise and songs' leader in her previous church. She was so
thankful and excited to get it--- she made us sing her some hymns, ha,ha!
I had to learn a very hard lesson this
week. We had a run-in with _______ last week in a meeting. On our
progress record, we wrote that the Gospel Essentials class needs an assigned
teacher, not the missionaries. We simply meant that the class needs to be
taught by a member so people can connect with the branch, instead of us as missionaries. He got very
upset at this. We talked with_______ for a while, but he
would NOT listen [or understand our suggestions]....... Suffice it to say, he said some [uncomplimentary things about our suitability as missionaries].
As we left that
meeting; we were so angry and upset that we walked all the way home. We talked it over on the way, and called for
advice from our Zone Leaders and the Assistants. When we explained the
situation to Elder Kinikini, he said, ‘You know, Ghanaians are known for
over-reacting, but they're also known for being very forgiving. It's not about
who is right and who is wrong, it's about what is best for the work, the
area, and the branch. You should go to him, apologize, and fix the
problem.’
So that's what we did. And it was the
hardest thing in the world to do. Elder James came up with the idea of making a fruit basket with our apology. So
we collected the materials throughout our proselyting day. We had to
humble ourselves SO much. We planned to meet ________ that night, so all
that day, we were still fuming. But before we went in to see him and his
wife, we said a prayer together to invite the Spirit.
As we sat down, we apologized and
explained ourselves. He also apologized, and told us that he and his wife
have never been so attached to missionaries as to us. They said they loved us
and feel for us as they see us walking in the scorching sun all day; they
know how hard the work has been. They said their home is also our home.
That actually meant a lot to me. It's not easy out here without your
family. ________ also told us that we've been an example to her
personally, by showing zeal for sharing the gospel. She's a shy, quiet
person, and she said that gradually, she is learning to come out and talk
to people.
It was an enormous lesson in humility---to
apologize when you know you've done nothing wrong. But all is well now. Once a tax collecter asked Peter
if his master, Jesus, paid taxes. Jesus didn't owe a penny to anyone, but he told Peter to pay
the tax, "lest they be offended" (Matt 17: 24-27) Jesus Christ also told the Nephites and
Lamanites, "he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil..." (3
Nephi 11:29) There was contention between us, the missionaries, and ____________. We needed to fix that, and
I'm so glad we did. If we are not one, we are not His. We can't let Satan in
among us, to destroy the Lord's work. I'm so thankful for the lessons I've
learned on my mission so far. The Lord truly knows how to shape me into the
person he needs me to be.
That's all for now!
Love,
Elder Doggett
Love,
Elder Doggett
No comments:
Post a Comment