| A very unique house in Ghana |
| Quite a gap between steps and door! |
"...these two astounding men of God felt the same way as I sometimes. Paul was a powerful convert missionary. Nephi was a prophet, seer, and revelator. Still, they both had their own weaknesses that weighed heavy on their hearts and minds, and they knew they could never reach the Father by their own merits."
Dear Family and Friends,
There are monkies in the jungle around our apartment! Elder Kirumira told me there were there some weeks ago, but I didn't believe him. We saw them two days ago, they're about the size of a large cat, and they look like TY [beanie babies] monkies. I think it's a type of lemur. You'll just hear some crashing in the trees and see this tan blur go zipping by. They're always munching on the buds of the blooming trees. Also I killed a spider the size of my hand by throwing my sandals at it the other day.
Dad, I want to talk about a time when you taught me about priesthood responsibilities. One Sunday morning when I was a teacher, I was supposed to be down at church preparing the sacrament, but you came and found me snoozing on the couch or something. When you asked if I was supposed to be somewhere, I told you "Ah, I do it every week, my leaders are there, they will do it." You seriously gave it to me, ha,ha! You told me that is NOT how it works. Preparing the sacrament is MY responsibility. You said you DO NOT shirk your duties onto other people like that. The reason I bring this up is because I have seen this problem in Ghana a lot. The missionaries are almost always on the stand blessing or passing the sacrament every week, even when there are plenty of boys to do it. But the boys come late, so we are always the ones who do it. The problem with that is: we know how to do everything. And we will be gone one day. And the boys in the ward will be left having gained nothing. I've realized it's so important that they do these duties, or they will never learn. The offices in the Aaronic Priesthood are there to prepare boys to be men and for the duties in the Melchizeked Preisthood. Dad, I want to thank you for all you taught me about the priesthood, how to magnify a calling, and how to grow as a servant of the Lord. You're the best.
Sometimes on mission as you teach lessons, and study, and have time to ponder things, you feel really guilty about some things you've done in the past. I feel like such a hypocrite sometimes. Recently, my imperfections---past and present--- have been taxing my mind. Sometimes I don't feel worthy to bear the Lord's name on my chest. Although I've taken care of the things of the past, they can still come back to me sometimes. Maybe that's Heavenly Father's way of reminding me to learn from those events.
So as I was looking through some scriptures on gaining forgiveness and resisting temptation and such, I came across Romans 7:14-25. Apostle Paul laments his own imperfections and explains that he doesn't want to sin, but it still happens because of the flesh. Similarly, Nephi writes about his own sins in 2 Ne 4:16-35. He explains that when he desires to rejoice, his heart groans because of his sins. But afterwards, he glories in Christ and his power to deliver us.
These two passages brought great comfort to me; to see that these two astounding men of God felt the same way as I sometimes. Paul was a powerful convert missionary. Nephi was a prophet, seer, and revelator. Still, they both had their own weaknesses that weighed heavy on their hearts and minds, and they knew they could never reach the Father by their own merits.
Paul explains that even though he desires not to sin with his spirit, his flesh still does. He says then it's the sin that remains in his flesh because of the fall. It just reminds me that nobody will ever leave this life without committing sin. It also reminds me of how to know you're truly converted. In Mosiah 5:2, the Nephites exclaim, "...we have no more disposition to do evil." The key lies in the desire. If I don't want to sin, then I'm truly converted. I can know that I'm doing my best.
Also, speaking of past transgressions, I have learned and understood SO much since I've been out here. I've learned about doctrine myself, and how to apply myself to doctrine. I didn't understand things so clearly back then as compared to now. Alma 32:19 reads, "... how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?" This scripture speaks to me, explaining that there are different stages of understanding in the gospel. I would venture to say that my own understanding was more of a belief back then, as less of a knowledge. Now, the two have swapped. I decided it all comes down to whether you are doing your best or not. I was doing my best back then, I'm doing my best now. God knows, and you know, if you're doing your best.
I'm sure almost every missionary has similar feelings to mine sometime in his mission. It seems that the closer you get to the Spirit, the more you come to fully realize that "no unclean things can dwell with God" (1 Ne 10:21) Sometimes inside you might be screaming, "O wretched man that I am!” just like Paul and Nephi. I've really gained a new, more personal appreciation and understanding of the Atonement of Christ. I'll never be perfect in this life, but somewhere down the line---far, far, down the line--- through the graceful merits of the Lord Jesus Christ, I can be made perfect.
There are monkies in the jungle around our apartment! Elder Kirumira told me there were there some weeks ago, but I didn't believe him. We saw them two days ago, they're about the size of a large cat, and they look like TY [beanie babies] monkies. I think it's a type of lemur. You'll just hear some crashing in the trees and see this tan blur go zipping by. They're always munching on the buds of the blooming trees. Also I killed a spider the size of my hand by throwing my sandals at it the other day.
Dad, I want to talk about a time when you taught me about priesthood responsibilities. One Sunday morning when I was a teacher, I was supposed to be down at church preparing the sacrament, but you came and found me snoozing on the couch or something. When you asked if I was supposed to be somewhere, I told you "Ah, I do it every week, my leaders are there, they will do it." You seriously gave it to me, ha,ha! You told me that is NOT how it works. Preparing the sacrament is MY responsibility. You said you DO NOT shirk your duties onto other people like that. The reason I bring this up is because I have seen this problem in Ghana a lot. The missionaries are almost always on the stand blessing or passing the sacrament every week, even when there are plenty of boys to do it. But the boys come late, so we are always the ones who do it. The problem with that is: we know how to do everything. And we will be gone one day. And the boys in the ward will be left having gained nothing. I've realized it's so important that they do these duties, or they will never learn. The offices in the Aaronic Priesthood are there to prepare boys to be men and for the duties in the Melchizeked Preisthood. Dad, I want to thank you for all you taught me about the priesthood, how to magnify a calling, and how to grow as a servant of the Lord. You're the best.
Sometimes on mission as you teach lessons, and study, and have time to ponder things, you feel really guilty about some things you've done in the past. I feel like such a hypocrite sometimes. Recently, my imperfections---past and present--- have been taxing my mind. Sometimes I don't feel worthy to bear the Lord's name on my chest. Although I've taken care of the things of the past, they can still come back to me sometimes. Maybe that's Heavenly Father's way of reminding me to learn from those events.
So as I was looking through some scriptures on gaining forgiveness and resisting temptation and such, I came across Romans 7:14-25. Apostle Paul laments his own imperfections and explains that he doesn't want to sin, but it still happens because of the flesh. Similarly, Nephi writes about his own sins in 2 Ne 4:16-35. He explains that when he desires to rejoice, his heart groans because of his sins. But afterwards, he glories in Christ and his power to deliver us.
These two passages brought great comfort to me; to see that these two astounding men of God felt the same way as I sometimes. Paul was a powerful convert missionary. Nephi was a prophet, seer, and revelator. Still, they both had their own weaknesses that weighed heavy on their hearts and minds, and they knew they could never reach the Father by their own merits.
Paul explains that even though he desires not to sin with his spirit, his flesh still does. He says then it's the sin that remains in his flesh because of the fall. It just reminds me that nobody will ever leave this life without committing sin. It also reminds me of how to know you're truly converted. In Mosiah 5:2, the Nephites exclaim, "...we have no more disposition to do evil." The key lies in the desire. If I don't want to sin, then I'm truly converted. I can know that I'm doing my best.
Also, speaking of past transgressions, I have learned and understood SO much since I've been out here. I've learned about doctrine myself, and how to apply myself to doctrine. I didn't understand things so clearly back then as compared to now. Alma 32:19 reads, "... how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?" This scripture speaks to me, explaining that there are different stages of understanding in the gospel. I would venture to say that my own understanding was more of a belief back then, as less of a knowledge. Now, the two have swapped. I decided it all comes down to whether you are doing your best or not. I was doing my best back then, I'm doing my best now. God knows, and you know, if you're doing your best.
I'm sure almost every missionary has similar feelings to mine sometime in his mission. It seems that the closer you get to the Spirit, the more you come to fully realize that "no unclean things can dwell with God" (1 Ne 10:21) Sometimes inside you might be screaming, "O wretched man that I am!” just like Paul and Nephi. I've really gained a new, more personal appreciation and understanding of the Atonement of Christ. I'll never be perfect in this life, but somewhere down the line---far, far, down the line--- through the graceful merits of the Lord Jesus Christ, I can be made perfect.
Love,
Elder Doggett
Elder Doggett, that was a beautiful "talk" you just gave. I so appreciate being on your letter list and experiencing your mission a bit. The wisdom of the Lord is astounding!! If we are as good of parents as we can be, our children will eventually see the virtues and emulate them. Our poor world is suffering from parents who have not done their jobs, have left their children to fend for themselves, and have neglected to teach the gospel to their children. As I contemplate the oncoming "train wreck" we are experiencing, I am saddened by the number of LDS who can't see what is happening. I hesitate to "judge" their, what I see as neglect to live the gospel because I'm never quite sure how solid I am at the same thing. More and more I give thanks to the Lord that it is NOT my responsibility to judge others but to simply do my best to change me. Perhaps through that, I can influence others as they influence me.
ReplyDeleteThe gospel is true and I know it more and more as I see sin encroaching upon us steadily. God bless you in His work. Serve that mission so that you will return, as President Hinckley said, "with no regrets." Our prayers are always with you and those you teach.