| Add caption |
"I've always been told that that's how the Spirit works, but now I'm starting to UNDERSTAND..... Listen. Listen to the still, small voice. The Church is true. Heavenly Father answers the prayers of the children of men. To that I so testify."
Dear Family and Friends,
Last Monday right after email, we ran into a woman we talked to in Cape a few weeks before. She told us that ever since we contacted her, she had been praying that she would meet us again. She said that God had touched her heart when we talked with her. She explained that she grew up in Italy, and her parents sent her to Ghana (she's a Ghanaian) so she could try to get rid of her cigarette addiction. She's been trying to shake the habit for a few years, but everyone gave up on her. They sent her under the supervision of a doctor at the mental hospital in Ankaful; that's in my old area. She told us she comes to town to get away from her sister so she can smoke. As I tried to explain to her how our message can help her overcome all challenges, she cut me off, saying, "Wait, so do you guys invite people to your church? Can I come with you?" Ha,ha we said, "Yes, yes, yes you can!" She said, "I told my sister that I wanted to come to your church and she asked what was wrong with me. I've never been religious or even interested in church." So because she lives in my last area, I referred her to Elder James, I told her how great a missionary he was and that we were close friends. I was in that area for 6 months. I told her Elder James could help her with her problems. We took her number, and as she got into a cab, I told her, "This church changes lives."
Last Monday right after email, we ran into a woman we talked to in Cape a few weeks before. She told us that ever since we contacted her, she had been praying that she would meet us again. She said that God had touched her heart when we talked with her. She explained that she grew up in Italy, and her parents sent her to Ghana (she's a Ghanaian) so she could try to get rid of her cigarette addiction. She's been trying to shake the habit for a few years, but everyone gave up on her. They sent her under the supervision of a doctor at the mental hospital in Ankaful; that's in my old area. She told us she comes to town to get away from her sister so she can smoke. As I tried to explain to her how our message can help her overcome all challenges, she cut me off, saying, "Wait, so do you guys invite people to your church? Can I come with you?" Ha,ha we said, "Yes, yes, yes you can!" She said, "I told my sister that I wanted to come to your church and she asked what was wrong with me. I've never been religious or even interested in church." So because she lives in my last area, I referred her to Elder James, I told her how great a missionary he was and that we were close friends. I was in that area for 6 months. I told her Elder James could help her with her problems. We took her number, and as she got into a cab, I told her, "This church changes lives."
Since we are struggling to build our teaching pool
right now, I really wanted to share with her the gospel personally. But
I know that there was a reason the Lord put her in our path, and that I knew who to refer
her to, according to where she lives. I've been praying that the Lord would prepare the
hearts of His elect. He's done that. Whether I teach her or not, missionary work is missionary
work. We're all on the same team. The worth of every soul is great in the sight of God.
So I finished the Book of Mormon again! I started it 4 months ago. I decided to go really slow and pick apart
everything, checking cross-references and linking scriptures and marking things that will help me
teach. I love to analyze the writing of each person who wrote in the Book of Mormon. In the
beginning, Nephi starts off humble and hopeful, bearing testimony all the way, and softly
exhorting people to come unto Christ. He mostly sticks to the facts in his record. Then as
Mormon abridges all the books, he stays pretty basic and informative, occasionally adding
his own thoughts. Then when he writes his own record, his tone turns to
lamenting, and sad. He pleads with the Gentiles and future readers of the
record to accept Christ, and heed the warnings, and learn from the mistakes of
his people. Then comes Moroni... Haha. I find his writing the most interesting
in the Book of Mormon. Moroni writes very bluntly. As he first starts, he
describes that his father has been killed and he explains his situation. It seems like he has a contempt for the
situation he is in, and the sins of the Nephites. Then a few times, he just
gives it to the Gentiles of the future (us) really straight, and pretty much condemns us for our
sins, and warns us that if we don't keep to the gospel, we will surely be ripe for destruction
as the Nephites. He pleads with the reader to repent and come unto Christ, almost to the point
of yelling. He seems so frustrated with everything as he writes. Which I
understand---he was the last righteous person left on his continent as far as
he knew. It must have been so degrading and horrifying to see what he saw. But,
he still gave really great promises!
The other day we were teaching a lady, pushing her to
pray and get an answer about our message. She said she was trying,
and blurted out, "God doesn't answer prayers right here, right now. I've prayed for things
over a year and I haven't gotten an answer." I replied,"Then the question is do you
have the faith that God will answer your prayer?" Later that evening, I began to ask myself the
same question. So far on mission, we're always promising people that God will answer their
prayers; it's always been in the back of my mind, "Will He really?" I've never asked my
Heavenly Father for much in the way of wisdom in my prayers in my life. But I remember trying
once. In the year before I came on mission, I read the Book
| Fante Book of Mormon, Three Witnesses |
Love,
Elder Doggett
P.S. I actually wasn't trunked out by that [Mother’s Day] call, surprisingly……… I just felt at home. Having my mashed potatoes and all, ha, ha! It just made me really happy to hear everyone. I could hear you fine on the phone, just a little delayed. So I do have an African accent, huh? I honestly can't tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment