Monday, May 6, 2013

This little gal wouldn't let her mom cut her hair!
Service project

Dear Family and Friends,
     I got your packages! Mom, I loved all the scriptures you sent along with all the stuff, that gave me a laugh, ha,ha. Thanks for the CD case, that will help me reduce space.  Kirsten, thanks forthe CDs as well! I thoroughly enjoyed them. I'll detail that in your letter. The packages made it into Ghana in time, only two weeks, it just took a while to get them to me.
     Today we bought some awesome pizzas in Cape Coast. Elder Kirumira and I went with Elder Moore and Elder Egbert to this pizza place called Medallion. They were out of pepperoni so we got a spicy hot one and a BBQ chicken one. Each was 18 cedis, but it was worth it. So 'spicy' to a Ghanaian means 'Jalapeno next to death' to a white guy.  She brought us the spicy one first and we just started dying. Oh, and today is possibly one of the hottest days I've seen in Ghana so far. We just sat in the sun, eating and said, "What have we done..?." It was pretty awesome.
     Speaking of things being hot in Ghana, the river which supplies most of the water to Central Region has pretty much dried up. Our zone leaders have been out of water for 2 weeks, and ours keeps going on and off. We have a poly tank though, so it's all good. Everyone we teach, though, has to travel miles to fetch just a single bucket of water. So the work has really been slowing down; everyone we go to teach tells us they are to busy trying to find water. Which is understandable because water is the most necessary thing in Ghana, in the world. So when it is out, there are big problems. The other day we were sitting on the steps of our meetinghouse after PEC and we saw tons of people start sprinting down the street with buckets and bins and things, just yelling. We found out water had come back down the street. Watching these people scramble for water really made me realize how great I had it back home, and how great everyone has it in a first-world country. I never had to worry a day in my life about finding water, I actually hardly ever drank it back home. I've seen how many things I took for granted back home. Ghana has a way of slamming that all down in front and you and saying, "You're a spoiled brat!" Haha it truly opens a person's eyes.

Notice the drinking water in background!!

     My district leader, Elder Moore, calls us for numbers every Sunday evening. He's from York, in the UK, and he gives me a "Harry Potter quote of the week" when he calls, ha,ha its so hilarious. Be.
Jealous.
     So since December I have had this really strange fungus kinda deal on hands, in between my fingers. It was very small in December when it first showed up, then it really started to spread the last few months. It's almost like athlete's foot on my hands. Athlete's Hand, haha. It's really annoying anyhow, it itches and gets really nasty when I wash on Mondays. Ghana... So I tried all the creams I brought with me and none of them worked. I bought a few here too and nothing worked. So finally Sister Shulz got something in Accra called Betnovate and it seems to be working. I'm happy to get rid of that soon.
     We got to watch some conference on Sunday! Only a small bit, though. We watched the second session of Saturday in English, and it was great. I gotta tell ya, Elder Cook looks about 20 years younger on TV. But then when they started the first session of Sunday, they put in in Fante. I was sitting with Elder Rasmussen, so we just left and went to wait outside, where we talked about the States for 2 hours.  I was SO looking forward to Conference. And most people here don't really appreciate conference the same way. But then again, it's more for them than it is for us, the missionaries. I just love conference. Something I also took for granted back home. I'm really looking forward to the conference edition of the Liahona, although it will take about 2 months to get to us probably.
     Mom, I really loved that talk you sent to me about Grace, it was powerful. Like I've mentioned, I have been deeply studying the Plan of Salvation and gaining a better appreciation for it. Every
time I think of the Atonement and what it really means for me, I really do "Stand all Amazed" at the love Jesus offers me. I think it has taken until now in my life where I have actually started to understand the implications of the Atonement, rather that just the Atonement itself. I have learned how to apply those implications in my own life, and see the whole picture.

Love,
Elder Doggett
Oops, at arm's length, Elder! :-)

Guessing this is the Elmina Branch Building?


No comments:

Post a Comment