Monday, August 19, 2013

"C. made it to church today! He showed up toward the end of sacrament. We just recruited a few guys and muscled him up the stairs in his wheelchair. He really enjoyed the meetings and contributed a lot in discussions." 



Dear Family and Friends,
            This week one morning I woke up and Elder Hansen told me I woke him up because I was teaching in my sleep. I just finished my first journal too. Ha,ha! You know you’re a missionary when…
            We got a call this Tuesday from President Shulz and he told me to put the phone on speaker. I did and he said, “Elders, we have 21 new missionaries coming this transfer, I need you both to be trainers. What do you say to that?” “Elder Doggett says yes,” I responded. So did Elder Hansen.  I think it will be great though. I hope I get a first-worlder so I can give him the training I never had.
            Transfer calls came too, I’m going to be training my 'son' in Swedru. Everyone I’ve talked to said it is a sweet area I’m going to. I’m finally getting out of Cape Coast area, Swedru is very close to Accra. Apparently, it’s only a 50 pesewe trotro ride to the temple. Hansen in staying in Green Hill with his
'son', and he was called as the District Leader.
            C. made it to church today! He showed up toward the end of sacrament. We just recruited a few guys and muscled him up the stairs in his wheelchair. He really enjoyed the meetings and contributed a lot in discussions. A newly called Ghanaian Area Seventy visited as well, he had a nice chat with C. They found out that their family homes are right across the street from each other. I was very happy to see the love and immediate acceptance the branch had for C. When we invited him to church, he asked, “Are your members kind and loving? Will they help me get inside when I get there?” We said yes, and I’m glad we were right.
            The area Seventy was hilarious. He was hanging around the front doors of the chapel before sacrament with us, greeting people. He said, “You go on ahead, I’ll be around. I’ll wait for them to start the meeting so I don’t have to preside!”
            We had a really awesome discussion on Sunday after church with Bro. A.'s referral. She, her brother, and two daughters were there as we talked about the restoration. It was awesome because every question they had played right into where we were going. There was a sweet spirit there. After we introduced the Book of Mormon, Bro. A. shared his testimony and conversion story: “I was born into a different church, and I studied the Bible deeply. An LDS church was right across the street from mine. One night I had a dream where the Savior stood before me with his arms outstretched to his sides. He called my name and said, 'This is the church you need to join,' and lowered his arms. The LDS church across from mine was there where his arms had just been. I didn’t go to that church. I had the dream again but this time He said, 'I told you which church to attend, you are very stiff-necked.'  He lowered his arms again. Finally after having the dream a third time, I went and joined. When I received the B of M, it only confirmed the truths I had found in the Bible, especially how the Bible is incomplete. (Num 21:14, Josh 10:13, 1 Kings 11:41, Colossians 4:16) The Bible and B of M are true, but we still only have a portion of God’s words. (John 21:25) The Lord himself called me to this Church. I know it is true.” He has a powerful testimony, that man. He said he doesn’t share it very often.
            The members here are sweet; I’ll miss Green Hill Branch. But the members in this country are sweet anywhere you go. Just since I've been here, I’ve seen the work and the branch itself progress impressively.
Love,
Elder Doggett


No comments:

Post a Comment