Monday, August 26, 2013


CowDogs and American Razors.........

Elder Cowan and Elder Doggett!
Dear Family and Friends,
    So here we are. Chapter 3, Swedru. I have a son! A mission son, that is. His name is Elder Cowan, he's from Ogden, Utah. Or a city just barely north of there. He's a cool guy; he's ready to work and is really trying to learn the language.  I've been writing all the Fante I know for him to look over. We will get along just fine. We decided our companionship title will be 'CowDog'. Cowan. Doggett……..get it?
    In the mission, new zones are being created all over the place. This transfer was one, last transfer was one. The missionary force is growing like ants finding a stray glob of jam Elder Doggett accidentally left on the counter in Ghana. Hate it when I do that...   
    Transfers was a little hectic. It always is. We had to trotro for about 2 hours up here. But the city is nice, because it's close to Accra. You can get everything you need here. We're in a six man apartment and we're in an area called Aboso. We're whitewashing the area. Elder Kirumira was there last, with Elder Shinasi. But for some reason President closed the area for a transfer so for 6 weeks it has had no missionaries. Things are going slow; we're trying to turn over the dirt and catch all the people the former missionaries were teaching before dinner gets cold, if you know what I mean. We're just kinda going to start from scratch and contact on our own. It works out well for the 12 Week Training Program though.
     So far the weather in Swedru is surprisingly cooler than in Cape Coast. Every day here so far has been overcast. I love it. I hardly even sweat during the day, haha. It's a lot further into the bush, so I guess all the green foliage everywhere keeps in the coolness.
    The branch is sweet. They're all trying to get Swedru to be a stake this coming October. After church on Sunday, we went out with President Fossou and his counselor to meet and greet some of the members, which is always good. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing people and things around me. The branch presidency seems like they are serious about getting things done. They went out to meet some less-active members and encourage them.
    When we were sitting down with one of the less-actives, I said something in Fante and Bro. Achempong, the 1st counselor said, "Hey! You know Fante paa. Holy Schnikes!" Hahaha it was sooo funny. Yes, he's seen Tommy Boy. He and his family stayed with President Shulz for like 6 years, and he went to school for a time at BYU-I. I've been really impressed time and time again with the members here. They are always such friendly and gracious people. President Fossou's wife fed us Sunday night.
     Mom! I got your package! It was sweet.... I've really been enjoying those Hi-Chew things, but I think I'm most happy about the razors. Ghana razors are not the same. Those scriptures you attached to stuff were pretty funny, too. Everything was nice, the whole box smelled like soap though, because the package got wet somewhere down the line and the soap was privy to the moisture. I'm excited for the new guitar strings--- my high E rusted through a few weeks ago, haha. The sea-breezy air will do that. Oh thanks for the Oreos, too!
Love,
Elder Doggett

No comments:

Post a Comment