Monday, August 12, 2013

So there, off the corner of a busy roundabout in the old city, in the thick, muggy heat of West Africa, and the equally thick noise and commotion around us, we gave C. a simple blessing."

 This week at district meeting we got locked out of the building so we just gathered on the grass behind the building. Elder Hansen and we were joking that our district leader needed to grow a beard and wear a robe, then we could re-enact the Sermon on the Mount. "You guys got any food?" "Oh, you know, just a few loaves and fishes..." Hahaha. Missionary humour. Classic.
     After a lesson with C. this week he said, "I have a big favor to ask you. It's no secret that I'm sick from stroke. Also my wife's business is not doing well. I am trying to find the right way to follow Jesus. Something is telling me to ask you to pray for me, for help with all of these things-- right now.  Recently we've explained to him how the elders of the church have authority to give blessings to the sick, as found in James 5:14-15. I suspect he's been pondering asking us. Of course, we accepted and he asked me to be the voice. When I asked his full name, I found out [his middle name] is ARTHUR, not ATTA, like I previously thought. (Ha,ha, the Ghanaian accent...)
     So there, off the corner of a busy roundabout in the old city, in the thick, muggy heat of West Africa, and the equally thick noise and commotion around us, we gave C. a simple blessing. He was very grateful, and admitted that he has a hard time asking people for help. After we left, some 2 hours later, he called us saying, "Elders someone just came and bought two huge pictures from my wife's shop!" Ha, ha! He was so excited. He had just seen immediate blessings from the Lord for his faith to ask for his help through his servants.
     Our investigator J. was baptized and confirmed this weekend! It was a sweet baptismal service, we had a lot of branch support (except for the part where the doors to the font were locked and we had to send for a key and wait a while; it always works out in the end though.)
     I spoke in church yesterday for missionary Sunday. I went with an idea I had recently, how the love of God is channeled through Jesus Christ to us, and He commanded us to love all men. If we, as members of the true church, have felt that love, will we not share it with those around us?
     After church we saw C. again, and in our discussion he mentioned that he noticed that we don't condemn any other church, while every other preacher he's spoken with does condemn--- especially toward us. He told us he watches us very closely; he won't mention the things he sees, but he will just mentally take note of it. Many times as C. has talked about some JW doctrine that is simply superfluous, I have wanted to just blow up and smash the teachings once and for all, and tell him that they're deceiving him. Now I am very glad I didn't. Once again I was reminded that people are always watching us, as missionaries and as members of the church. ‘Bee’ your best self at all times.
Love,
Elder Doggett

P.S.  I do get kind of cold at night. But I love it. I so miss jumping into a freezing bed at night and waiting for it to warm up. :)


District meeting
 
Ant "highway"

No comments:

Post a Comment