"I don't want to get somewhere down the long road of eternity to watch
someone I know break down in the arms of the Savior, and realize that I could have helped them discover that familiar embrace years ago"
Dear Family and Friends,
We've
seen P., the boy who lost his mother two weeks ago. He was playing futbol and
enjoying life with his friends a few days ago, and he joined us for free banku
from the stake president last night. I'm always impressed with the way people
handle death here. It doesn't sting them
very hard. But Ghanaians in general already kind of inherently believe in an
afterlife, so they are just happier (than Americans are) when death strikes.
Ghanaians have great faith.
I
was reading Elder Packer's talk in the conference Ensign the other day. At the
end of his talk, 'The Witness', he bears strong testimony and indirectly states
that he has seen the Savior. I was pretty surprised initially, but then I
realized that there must be something that sets apostles apart as 'special
witnesses' of Christ in all the world.
I
had to preside at a baptismal service this week for some of our missionaries'
candidates. The service wasn't planned very well, their ward mission leader didn't
come and they had no presiding authority. That happens pretty often here...
When that happens in the GCCM, the elder who has been out the longest
presides--and that was me, haha. All I
had to do was sit there and make sure everything went the way it should; it
wasn't hard. Five were baptized and I must say I'm impressed with how our
missionaries are doing in the zone. Total this week: 7 were baptized. Hurrah for Israel!
We
had our final zone conference with President Shulz this week. It was mostly
just to say goodbye to everyone. Like I mentioned in an earlier email, we had
an object lesson. (I didn't describe it before because we wanted to keep it
secret so we could use it with our zones) We went outside, blindfolded
everybody, and in different groups we led everyone by having them hold on to
ropes in silence. There were some
obstacles to get over, nothing too difficult though. Then one by one we had everyone individually
let go of the rope and 'wait for further instruction'. Then someone started
singing the first two verses to the hymn 'Come Follow Me' #116. One by one people started to realize that was
the 'further instruction' and slowly trickled over to where we were singing. We
hugged those who made it, and they removed their blindfolds and joined us in
singing until everyone made it.
Afterwards,
we went inside and discussed how to apply the experience in our missions and
lives. The rope is the Spirit, the leader of the rope is the Savior. The
obstacles are trials, and the choice is ours to heed to invitation-- 'Come
Follow Me' The first time we did this
activity, I was a participant. This time, I was leading one of the ropes. I had
a much different view and I had a profound observation in my group. Sister A was the first one on my rope, and the
more obstacles she hit, the closer she moved up the rope towards me-- until she
was pretty much touching my hand. It was
easier for her to follow and hold on that way. But because she was so close to
me, there was a big gap going to the next person on the rope. Consequently, the
rope became slack for Sister N. She was
struggling with every obstacle she ran into; she nearly fell many times because
the rope wasn't tight enough to give her solid support.
Towards
the close of the activity when we turned everyone loose and told them to wait
for further instruction the singing began. People meandered in and were
subsequently hugged and their blindfolds removed. When Sister N. made it, Sister U. gave her a
tight hug and removed her blindfold.
Sister N was in tears. I think she felt so overwhelmed at
the chance to finally have someone to hold on to. I was touched inside because
I had watched the whole time and had observed how hard the walk
was for her.
Application:
How often in our attempts to get closer to the Savior, do we leave someone
behind who also needs support in the gospel? As we try to be more righteous, we
must be wary lest be become self-righteous. How do we miss the opportunities to pull
someone along with us in the gospel?
There are people who need support; people who need truth.
But they are kept from it because 'they know not where to find it'. I don't
want to get somewhere down the long road of eternity to watch
someone I know break down in the arms of the Savior, and
realize that I could have helped them discover that familiar embrace years ago.
Love,
Elder Doggett
Yeah I forgot to mention Ghana was super depressed after
losing to the USA in the World Cup. I
felt bad for them. They tied with
Germany just the other night, so they have one chance left to stay in.
It's so fun to watch everyone--literally EVERYONE freak
out when Ghana makes a goal. That [Coast Guard] breakfast [Kelsey and Joe
cooked] sounds so amazing... I miss food!!....It's cool that the whole
neighborhood was there, though!

No comments:
Post a Comment