Monday, August 11, 2014

ANOTHER WEEK IN ASSIN FOSO

Dear Family and Friends,
                Elder Cowan hit his year mark this week.  I gave him a call to congratulate him and he was enjoying french fries,  ha ha. Time is just gone though. I remember we had a conversation back in Swedru, saying that right after he turned a year old on mission is when I would be dying on mission. Now here we are.
                At MLC (Mission Leadership Council) this week there were more great ideas coming from Pres. Stevenson.  Overall, he wants to do away with the 'Law of Moses' in the mission so we can simply stay true to the missionary handbook.  He's also supplying every missionary with a 'How to Learn Twi' booklet, and he suggests we take time to study it in companionships.  My comp is practically fluent already, so it's just me who needs it.  I so wish I had this from the start though, it would have helped me more than I can tell.  Elder James and his group at the meeting bore their departing testimonies.  They leave in one week.  I guess it's the last time I'll see him until we meet on the other side [of the pond].  I love that man;  we've stayed close friends ever since we met way back in Ntranoa.
                We got a call from the Achiase elders on a strange number.   E. Brown told us that he and E. Hintze were split up because two of the Liberian misisonaries were brought into Achiase. We were a bit surprised because nobody informed us beforehand. We called the APs and they had thought they told us, haha. I don't blame them because things have been INSANE for them-- they were dropping off more missionaries in Takoradi when we called. They gave the new companionship a new phone, hence the strange number.  Elder Cooper is from Atlanta Georgia, and Elder Pishl is from Boise, Idaho.  I haven't met them yet though.  It's quite fortunate really, that they came at this time because E. Hintze is leaving in a week before the end of the transfer, so it would have been really awkward if their apartment was still a two-man. Now I think the three of them will just stay together when Hintze leaves.
                Last Sunday a really less-active guy came to church, and a few days later he gave us a referral, his JW lady friend. We met with her this week and she was interrogating us with questions, testing out knowledge and such. She was easy to handle (all JW’s are). We were more so just impressed with Enoch for referring her and joining us in the lesson. He even contributed a bit.
                We're working hard with the people who have fallen into our lap recently.  Four have baptism dates for the end of August, although I think only 2 might make it. Unfortunately K missed church yesterday. We'll be going to see him tonight to discuss things with him. He has been doing better with the word of wisdom though.  One of the referrals, J, is doing well also. He was taught by E. Kinikini and someone else a long time ago and came to church a bunch.  He's a driver though, so his schedule is a bit crazy. The guy who referred him came home from mission a month ago. The others are making progress, however slow it is. So we count our blessings!

Love,

Elder Doggett

Mother keeps "stealing" pics from the Stevenson's blog and others

No comments:

Post a Comment