REASSIGNMENTS DUE TO EBOLA OUTBREAK
Dear Family and Friends,
I
had an interesting experience reading my patriarchal blessing this week. As I read, I noticed some particular words in
the expressions therein, and I decided to look up direct definitions of said
words in my dictionary. As I understood the true meaning of the words and
pondered why the patriarch was inspired to use them, I gained greater insight
into the calling and expectations the Lord has for me. I also could fathom the
Gifts of the Spirit that have been granted to me.
What
I love about my blessing is that everything is implicit, almost nothing is
directly stated. I have to actually study it and pick it apart. Occasionally
there are things that stick out to me, which I had never before noted or fully
considered. I think the Lord knew I have
a love and knack for literature in general. With the scriptures and my blessing I love to
find truths that have been concealed.
As
we closed our day Saturday night the assistants called and gave us some sad
news. Due to a deadly ebola epidemic
sweeping upper West Africa, the Sierra Leone and Liberia missions are being
closed-- effective immediately. The missionary department is re-assigning all the
missionaries to the 4 missions here in Ghana, and to the 5 missions in Nigeria.
Our mission will receive one senior couple (hopefully they will come to our
neck of the woods), one sister missionary, and 17 elders. We can expect them
within the next week or two; then two
weeks after that we have 16 brand new missionaries coming for transfers. The
mission home will be a busy place; there's always something huge going on...
I do
not envy those missionaries who have to be uprooted and planted in a strange
new plot in the Lord's vineyard. Imagine
leaving everyone and everything you had come to love: the members and
investigators, culture, experiences, etc. That would be so hard; all at a moment's
notice.
Yesterday
the assistants informed us that the missionaries might be stopped from leaving
their countries because they were shutting down the airways. But this morning we got word that there are 8
coming and they will make it tonight. The rest will come later, and we're still
praying for them.
K came to church! Late, but he came. We
were very happy, he's a free guy and he enjoyed himself. He just fit right in. Then we called him last
night just to check up and he said he was sitting with his wife teaching her
all the things he learned at church and his experience there. He's so powerful! Although, it seems his word
of wisdom concern may be larger than he is admitting. So we're working on that. Keep sending your prayers up for him.
We
also got like 4 referrals this week which is really impressive. We're re-building our teaching pool right now
so we really need it!
Love,
Elder Doggett
![]() |
| The ebola outbreak is on both sides of Ghana. Prayers needed for our missionaries and the people in West Africa. |

No comments:
Post a Comment