Tuesday, December 10, 2013



Dear Family and Friends,
    All the windows of our apartment are reflective from the outside, including the front door, it has a window that goes to the ground. Almost every morning, this salt and peppered rooster comes to the door window and stares at himself. He just cocks his head and ruffles his feathers at himself. We decided he was really conceited, so we named him Narcissus. That was Elder Cowan's idea; personally, I think he looks more like a Carlos.
    Elders Baird and Suntau found passion fruit here in their area. I have never found it here, although I've heard of it. We had some last night and I now understand the reason for the name 'passion fruit'. Words cannot accurately describe the heavenly impressions I had while indulging in that goodness. I'm convinced that fruit is not of this world.
    Ladies, and Gentlemen, Brethren and Sisters, the happy day at last has come. We've finally had a baptism here in the Aboso/Chapel Square area in Swedru. 4 months running. We've been teaching P. for a long time now, since September. She is the 13 year old granddaughter of one of the long- time members. P. had a baptism date set for October, but we were informed by our leaders that regulation says she needed to attend church for 2 more months, so we post-poned.
    She is a brilliant girl, intellectually. She understands the gospel, picks things up fast, and applies them to herself. Sometimes she gets bored when we teach too slow, haha. She has started working on some names for baptisms for the dead already. That's something the Swedru District and the Ivies are pushing for--- recent converts to do temple and family history work.
    It's always a good feeling to see an investigator through to baptism. We work really hard with these people. I know Elder Cowan is enjoying himself; he used a knife to scratch one tick mark in the back of his missionary nametag, haha. He'll be keeping track. I'm glad that now he sees that sometimes you'll see success in the field.
    The baptism went pretty well, we had it Sunday morning before church; sometimes that's the only way to get member support here. It worked out pretty well, though.  The other Elders had two candidates, unfortunately only one showed up.
    Oh, I almost forgot.  Today the Ivies took us to the hospital in Winneba because Elder Doggett has something wrong with his foot. We sent the picture to Sis. Shulz and she sent it to the area doctor, and he said to get it checked out. The bottom of my foot is really white, and it looks like a giant blister although there is no pain, burning, or anything like that. We went to see the doc and he said it's fine, there is just a small problem in getting blood flow to that area, but it's only on the surface. Eventually, the place will peel and underneath it will be fine. So no worries, mother. :) By the way, 'hospital' here means, 'doctor's office'. It was nothing serious.
    Anyhow, my entire purpose in telling you about this is that on the way home, Elder Ivie hit a goat on the highway. It just got caught under the rear wheels, but he couldn't swerve due to traffic, it was too late. Sister Ivie was so sad, haha. She's just a really sweet lady. Elder Ivie just acted like nothing happened. It's really entertaining to watch them, haha, they are definitely an old married couple, and I mean that in the best way possible.
    Until next time,
Elder Doggett

P.S.  Yes, Dad,  the Ivies do treat us like their own blood. We actually had dinner with them yesterday again, on accident. We had to stop by so they could take a picture of my foot, and of course, Sister Ivie had dinner on and a few members of the branch coming over so she wanted us to stay.
Honestly, I think Ghana doesn't celebrate Christmas partly because of money and partly because religion here is an entertainment business, not religion. It's hard to explain, but people in general do not see things the way we do in that regard. For example, no matter who you talk to, they will ALWAYS refer to Christ as 'the Jesus'. They see him as more of an object than an actual person.
But, it's still great down here, everyone is so nice. I will probably be offended pretty easily when I get home and realize that not everyone is so hospitable and friendly...
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

 
This is a pic from his old area Elder Doggett finally downloaded.....

No comments:

Post a Comment