Thursday, December 26, 2013

Email from Dec 24, 2013:

TRANSFER NEWS:  Mpintsin, Kojokrom

Dear Family and Friends,
            On Sunday D. and J. were baptized before church. Both were member referrals. Both had investigated the church previously and for some reason ceased. It was a pretty good service, just before church with some member support.
            We always taught J. with Bro. O., the member who referred him. He is also an older gentleman, so it was always entertaining. Bro. O. confirmed J. a member of the church; he always helped a ton with our proselyting.
            On a much different note... transfer news. Chapter 4, Mpintsin,  Kojokrom. I'm with Elder Ormond from New Zealand, my MTC mate. He's a big, rugby playing islander. We had transfer day yesterday due to the normal day falling on Christmas. Apparently Mpintsin ward is the fastest growing in the Takoradi Stake; I believe it because I met the bishop last night and he is pretty zealous, in a good way. I've finally made it over to Western Region, and at the moment I am emailing in the fastest cafe in Ghana. Elders Shinasi and Sakala are our ZLs, also my MTs, haha I think we'll have some fun here. I've been waiting for a while to serve with a MT (Missionary Training) elder.
            So, Elder Cowan has gone to Moree in Cape Coast. I went on splits there a few times, it's a big place. It's a giant fishing town, but they have pretty powerful members and a really nice building. He'll probably enjoy himself there.
            To my utter depression though, nobody is replacing us in Swedru. President has killed the area again. My initial reaction was, 'WHAT!? WHY?' We just spent 4 1/2 months picking that area from the dirt and setting it on it's feet. Now, I won't say ALL our hard work is lost, but some of it will go down the drain. We were just contacting last week and we found a lot of promising potential investigators. Since we transferred only yesterday, we didn't have time to record those people; so they'll be lost. Our teaching pool was so intelligent, too! Everyone we were working with were people who would be able to build up the church, which is what Swedru desperately needs.
            I'm also sad that we don't get to teach J. and D. about the temple and new member lessons. Our goal in the Swedru District was to get every recent convert to the temple as fast as possible. I've given some names to Elder Suntau, as he is taking over our area for now, but he is already so busy as a ZL. I pray things will work out. I was deeply frustrated to leave that area with no watchmen.
            While we waited for 3 hours at the Cape Coast tro station, I ran into none other than my recent convert and member from Green Hill! Sis. T. and M.A. were going to Accra to deliver some pastries, and just happened to have one for me too, haha. I'm pretty sure Elder Larsen tipped them off, but they claimed it was all just some crazy big chance. It warmed my heart to see them, I love Green Hill branch. Being a missionary rocks!

            Mom I got your Christmas package just before transfers. It was sweet, thanks so much. I filled Elder Baird's and Suntau's stockings and ambushed them with the Nerf Gun. Then they found theirs and when we should have been packing, we all had a Mexican shootout in the apartment for about an hour. Haha it was awesome. I'm gonna miss that apartment, it was so fun, all we ever did was eat food. The night before we left we had root beer floats and cheesecake. Although, this new apartment is pretty sweet. I'm with Elder Ormond, and my MT Elder Wamono is with Elder Reihle from D.C. Also there is Elder Miskin from Arizona with his son (trainee) Elder Larsen from Logan.  Elder Miskin's father (trainer) was also Elder Larsen, the one at Green Hill now, haha. funny family line.

            Love you,
Elder Doggett

No comments:

Post a Comment