SICKNESS PREVAILS IN GHANA
| This was shared through E. Stoddard's mom because E. Doggett's mom is out of pictures....this is a small roadside "grocery store" |
Dear Family and Friends,
And
it came to pass that in the 19th month of the mission of Elder Doggett, in the last
week of that year, there came divers events and business. But behold, I cannot write even a hundredth of
the record of my week, so it is my design to abridge the writings of the past.
It came to pass that in the
first day of the week, there was peace in all the land, also in the second day.
(OK enough of the Mormon speaking). Wednesday we did a 24 hour split so I could do
interviews in the DL's area. I went with
Elder Hackmeister from Utah. He's a sweet
guy; he's into classic rock an aviation and we stayed up a bit talking that
night. But we were so busy during the day. They had three candidates who needed
interviews, and they were all so powerful. Companion exchange success.
On
the drive home from the exchange, we got a call from the senior couple, the Schiffmans.
They sadly informed us that due to
medical issues, they would be going home the next Monday, and they didn't
expect to return. We will greatly miss them, they've been an enormous help. Two weeks ago, a missionary in Praso collapsed
during proselyting. Praso has bad cell
service and is pretty deep in the bush. The companion called the Schiffmans and they
came to the rescue. The missionary is
fine now, but I don't like to think of what could have happened if they had not been there. Little did we know when they called us
Thursday morning, how immediately we
would miss their support.
Thursday
night we got a call from the sisters, informing us that one of them was very sick. We wrapped up the night and headed over to
their apartment. When we got there we
found that actually two were very sick. I brought my bag of drugs but we ended up not
really needing them; the two sisters just requested priesthood blessings. We gave a blessing to the first, whose case
was not as severe as the second. As my
companion was closing the blessing, she wretched and nearly vomited just
sitting there in the chair. He quickly closed and she bolted to the washroom.
We called Sister Shulz and she told us to take the two sisters to a lab in the
morning to get tested for malaria.
The
next morning we did so, and spent nearly 4 hours in the hospital. A Ghanaian hospital is not very organized...
They ran some tests and gave them drugs according to their needs and we sent
them home. We spent the rest of the day having a fabulous time proselyting. I
think we taught 6 lessons. When we got in the apartment we were told by the other
companionship that the sisters and their DL had been trying to call us for
hours, but for some reason it would not go through. One of the sisters was
admitted to the hospital that night. We ran down the street to the hospital to
see what was going on (Everything in Assin Foso is all on one really long
road). As we got there, the security
guard was being an enormous expletive and wouldn't let us in. Luckily we were able to talk to the sister's companion
through the fence. Apparently her case of malaria is really extreme. We needed
to pay a 60 cedi deposit fee, and the guard still wouldn't let us in, so one of
the members helping our sisters paid, and we paid him back the next day.
The
companion and two others sisters stayed the night at the hospital, and we
bought them egg sandwiches because they were starving. I'm impressed and proud of them; they have been very supportive through all this. We came the next morning and found out the ill
sister would have to stay until Monday. So hopefully after I finish emailing she will
be released. She is doing much better now.
Because
of all of this, we are running out of impress to pay for everything. Another sister fell sick today with typhoid and we had to take
care of that. All our missionaries need
re-imbursed because we're in the last week of the sub period. One apartment's
fuel finished so we had to replace that. Then our stove lit on fire this
morning when I was cooking breakfast; the hose cracked out and started leaking.
I was sitting on the tank because the regulator didn't fit well, it was leaking
there too, hahaha. Another missionary informed
us that he's had a high fever for the last 3 days and he needs help. My allergies have been flaring up like mad all
week.
During all of
this the electricity has gone out. ECG. 'Electricity Company of Ghana'? More
like 'Either Candle or Generator' hahaha.
There's more, but
I can't remember it all. Did you ever see Christmas Vacation? That's what this
feels like. Anything that can go wrong,
will go wrong.
We
had our baptism on Sunday! B. and P. were baptized and the service went very
well. Only afterwards I was trying to find P. and her family to take a
photo, and I found them in the bishop's office about to confirm her because
they thought she was a child of record. I got there just in time to prevent that small
disaster, haha. She needs to be confirmed in sacrament meeting as a convert.
There
is probably more to say, but my brain is a little scattered into millions of
pieces at the moment. I'm so exhausted. It feels nice though. My companion isn't exhausted; Elder Nakedi is
a robot! I was joking to him as we
walked home from the hospital at midnight
that he was one of the Three Nephites. I think he's holding out on me, haha. But really, I've never had a companion push
me as hard as he has.
Things are
stressful over here, but I'm learning a lot. I never thought I could be so
patient in everything. Onye agro kraaaa
(It's not easy at all)
Well.
That's it I guess. Love you! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment